Porting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay's on a point here. I could see a ported saw being advantagous if you were just felling trees for production logging. 7 sec in each cut might add up to several more trees in the day and that does have $$ signs all over it. But for firewood?

MasterMech said:
Jay's on a point here. I could see a ported saw being advantagous if you were just felling trees for production logging. 7 sec in each cut might add up to several more trees in the day and that does have $$ signs all over it. But for firewood?

You just re-fuel more often those couple seconds you save gets taken up by filling the saw more often. I really think at the end of the day its still a draw. Now if I could get a ported saw that folds 8 oz's of more fuel that would be a game changer.

If you want to cut more wood, don' take so many breaks.

I was cutting some cookies yesterday with my poulan 2150. :zip:

I just remembered something from some years back. When I first started hanging around AS I was just another firewood cutter and my main saw was a Homie SXLAO. Basically that was the saw I grew up with. All my Dad ever used. I argued with those guys for months over how I could get just as much wood cut with my old Homie as they could with there hopped up saws. I also remember a big ash tree that fell down behind the house. It was about 28-30" dia nice straight log. That was one very long and tiring day cutting that tree up. After going to a GTG and opening my eyes to the world of new powerful saws I realized how stubborn I had been all these years. If I need to cut a tree like that today its a walk in the park, doesn't take all day and is actually fun and not work. SO I'm I cutting more firewood, probably not, just spending one heck of a lot less time getting what I do cut and having fun while I'm doing it. On a big log I went from maybe minutes in the cut to mere seconds. None of this is port talk either it was just getting much better equipment for the job. For me porting just adds in more of the fun factor since I love to cut firewood.

For some people just having a good sharp chain is a step in the right direction, if they have a ported saw they will just dull it up quicker. :)

wkpoor said:
I just remembered something from some years back. When I first started hanging around AS I was just another firewood cutter and my main saw was a Homie SXLAO. Basically that was the saw I grew up with. All my Dad ever used. I argued with those guys for months over how I could get just as much wood cut with my old Homie as they could with there hopped up saws. I also remember a big ash tree that fell down behind the house. It was about 28-30" dia nice straight log. That was one very long and tiring day cutting that tree up. After going to a GTG and opening my eyes to the world of new powerful saws I realized how stubborn I had been all these years. If I need to cut a tree like that today its a walk in the park, doesn't take all day and is actually fun and not work. SO I'm I cutting more firewood, probably not, just spending one heck of a lot less time getting what I do cut and having fun while I'm doing it. On a big log I went from maybe minutes in the cut to mere seconds. None of this is port talk either it was just getting much better equipment for the job. For me porting just adds in more of the fun factor since I love to cut firewood.

Agree 100 percent but a 460 vs a ported 460 I think the trade off is this. If your doing monster trees over 40 inch hardwoods alot then the ported makes more sences.(660 just to big for me to run all the time) If your in that 35- inchs non-ported is better. In my case its the bigger tree's that I get until now. Got a buch of 20 inch mulberry and would rather have a no-ported for it. Just one great big trade off and evey tree has its own set of issues. I put the stock exhaust cover back on and retuned for the smaller wood seems to get a little better milage, so just another trade off. :cheese:
Dont get me wrog I was pro modd up to this year, and hope to never get another one over 40 inchs. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.