Portrage and main vs hardy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmer Cody

Jan 27, 2015
Southern il
Alright guys I've been researching quite a lot lately on outdoor wood boilers. Mainly been looking at gasification but I seen a few post about portrage and main. I looked up their gasification unit and gave them a call. First thing the guy told me was about the ultimizer bl20-40. It's not a gasification unit but he says its just about as efficient. I talked to him for awhile and done some more research and I'm really impressed with it. The main thing that bothers me is that there isn't a dealer close. I would have to call the company and have them send me parts if I ever needed something. Also sounds like a good warranty. I was interested in central boiler until I seen the comments about warranty and customer service. So my question is the people with these. Have you had good luck with them and any warranty issues? Any info you can share about these two boilers would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

I have a portage and main bl 28-40 and i love. Its a well built unit and the attention to detail is awesome. Its a nice looking visually too. So far i cant complain obout wood consumption at all. I thought the same thing about having problems and no dealer around, but i didnt let that stop me. They are more expensive than other boilers around here but i think it is money well spent considering the quality. Also they told me they designed these to take apart and there is 2 main pieces. Should one of them ever give you a problem, you just replace that part. Not the whole stove like most others. He was honest, he told me it wont last forever. There are tons of hardy are here. I personally dont like the just because of the design of the stove. Im not saying its a bad stove by any means. There are tons of 20 to 30yr hardys around here. I also hear they like wood. My brother in law said last year he had to fill his every 6 hrs and his house is only 2000sqft and its newer. Granite we had a cold winter last year. I wanted to stay away from using a bunch of wood and filling every 6 hrs. So far this year i average about a rank and a quarter a month. I thought my trailer held more. It may be a rank and a half. Somewhere between there. I also like having something different. There is only one other portable and main in my area and its a ml36. If you are ever in southeast mo, you can check mine out.

I forgot to mention, these units are simple.a digital aquastat is the only electronic thing on it besides my circulator pump. No computer or any fancy crap. Just plain simple, the way i like it.

Thanks! I might take you up on coming to check it out if you don't mind. I'm in southern Illinois so your not to far from me. How often have you had to fill yours? Will it last 12 hours?

I dont fill it all the way. I stack one row in the middle. It last at least 12 to 14 hrs. I live in perryville. Let me know.

I have a P&M 250 had it for 4 years and love it 1/3 the wood and goes for 12-15
hours. It is a gasser,not much if any smoke,there is some housekeeping about ounce a week but otherwise a nice unit. Folks at P&M are very helpful and any parts are shipped prompt. A little pricy but well worth the extra $$$ very well built
not like my first one only lasted 6 years.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Status
Not open for further replies.