Q&A Positive Pressure Wood Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Alpine Fireplace Furnaces from Lehi, Utah advertises "positive pressure" fireplaces with an 82% efficiency rating. These units have a small blower motor located OUTDOORS that circulates fresh air through the heat exchangers and into the room. Some of this air is used for combustion. The remainder is forced throughout the room. Alpine GAS fireplaces advertise several benefits: heat produced is distributed more evenly and temperatures are more uniform. The adjustable blower is 495 CFM. Additional benefits listed is the use of fresh air and the location of the blower motor reduces the noise level. Alpine Gas Fireplaces lists membership in the Rocky Mountain Gas Association. I live on the East Coast and would like to hear from some independent minds about the positive pressure concept and the company itself before I invest several thousand dollars. Any direction you could point me will be appreciated.

Answer:

Never heard of the particular company, but Travis Industries makes a similar fireplace that we have sold and used in our stores for years....works very well. I was doubtful about this concept myself until I used them..the customers are thrilled.
One warning....this type of unit may have some problems in areas of the country that experience frigid weather (under 20 degrees) on a regular basis. Improvements are being made to address this, so check with your dealer and the mnaufacturer.

Link: Travis Industries, FPX

Status
Not open for further replies.