"POSSESED"pellet stove control panel is uncontrolable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WRENCH

Feb 13, 2010
UPSTATE NY
I have a Englander pellet stove, model 25-pdv/55-shp22. manf. date 11/00, WITH ISSUES. Issue being after I set my heat range and blower speed the stove will increase the both on it's own.I turn them back down and they go back up. Sometimes it won't allow me to turn them down without repetitive pressings of the control buttons. LOOKING FOR ANY HELP OR INSIGHT. Thanks

Let me know if it gets any worse. I know a guy who performs exorcism's on stoves. This is not something to take lightly. :lol:

Just kidding. It sounds like you may have a malfunctioning board, might need to get it repaired/replaced. I'll let someone else chime in, because I do not have half the experience most of the guys on this forum do.

I was thinking that it might be the board,I did a quick visual inspect and did not see any obvious signs of damage(hot spot,burn).I have a fresh battery in meter and will take any advice on a diagnostic route. Thanks

WRENCH said:
I have a Englander pellet stove, model 25-pdv/55-shp22. manf. date 11/00, WITH ISSUES. Issue being after I set my heat range and blower speed the stove will increase the both on it's own.I turn them back down and they go back up. Sometimes it won't allow me to turn them down without repetitive pressings of the control buttons. LOOKING FOR ANY HELP OR INSIGHT. Thanks

Wrench, one thing you could try is to do a hard control board reset. It works on the newer stoves, so I'm hoping it's the same on the older ones too:

1. Shut off stove, and allow to cool off completely.
2. Unplug stove, and after a few seconds plug back in....within 3-4 seconds, press all 3 bottom buttons at the same time, and let go.
3. "F-5" should appear in the display. Allow the display to go blank.
4. Re-start stove.

If this doesn't work ( if you don't get the F-5 readout), I'd call Englander Tech support and have them go through some other diagnostics.

If that does not work you may need to have an Exhorsism performed to rid your stove of the gremlin thats posesses it.

Snowy

macman said:
WRENCH said:

Wrench, one thing you could try is to do a hard control board reset. It works on the newer stoves, so I'm hoping it's the same on the older ones too:

1. Shut off stove, and allow to cool off completely.
2. Unplug stove, and after a few seconds plug back in....within 3-4 seconds, press all 3 bottom buttons at the same time, and let go.
3. "F-5" should appear in the display. Allow the display to go blank.
4. Re-start stove.

If this doesn't work ( if you don't get the F-5 readout), I'd call Englander Tech support and have them go through some other diagnostics.

2000 model stove macman , rset is a different procedure...

first with the stove dead cold and out ,turn the unit on , then press and hold all 3 bottom buttons until the unit shuts off then release. after doing so check the bottom buttons one at a time LFF will show 1 , LBA 9 and AOT 2. if these settings are there the board rebooted. after confirming this , set your buttons to the following (defaults for 2000 model 25-pdv) LFF 6 LBA 1 AOT 1. and run the unit to see if this corrects the problem , if it does not then you will need a new control board

stoveguy2esw said:
.....2000 model stove macman , reset is a different procedure....

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure, that's why I mentioned that it may not be the right procedure.

EXORCISED STOVE, with a little help from a new control board and my credit card. Ordered a new board on line from ENGLANDER, part arrived in four days and installed in about ten minutes and stove appears to be running well. I want to thank everyone that chimed in for helping wit my diagnosis, but I still have one more problem,getting the wife to carry a couple of tons pellets in the house, any help?

WRENCH said:
EXORCISED STOVE, with a little help from a new control board and my credit card. Ordered a new board on line from ENGLANDER, part arrived in four days and installed in about ten minutes and stove appears to be running well. I want to thank everyone that chimed in for helping wit my diagnosis, but I still have one more problem,getting the wife to carry a couple of tons pellets in the house, any help?
You should have married one of those Polish girls. All it costs is their plane fare over here.

I had the same problem.....but it was resolved when I walked in the room and saw the wife sneaking over making the heat setting "climb" mysteriously :)

Status
Not open for further replies.