Possible MS660 for sale in Bozrah, CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
Bozrah Home & Hardware has a Stihl 660 that the customer is stiffing them on the repair bill. Customer has till tomorrow (wedsnesday 11/12) to pick up. If not, it goes on sale Thursday for $500.

That could be a very good deal for someone who needs a beast this large. Too much saw for me, thought I would pass on the info.

Mike

CT-Mike said:
Bozrah Home & Hardware has a Stihl 660 that the customer is stiffing them on the repair bill. Customer has till tomorrow (wedsnesday 11/12) to pick up. If not, it goes on sale Thursday for $500.

That could be a very good deal for someone who needs a beast this large. Too much saw for me, thought I would pass on the info.

Mike
that is a good deal!

Here is some more info I just got from talking to the guy at Bozrah Hardware:

- The saw will sell for $550
- The store opens at 8 AM
- Evidently it was dropped, and needed a new rear handle, fuel tank, and several other smaller odd & ends. He states there was no work needed to the engine, etc, saw runs fine.
- The customer has until close of business today to pay the bill and pick it up, and so far they haven’t heard from him.
- Phone number is for the store is 860-886-1914
- He stated there were several people interested in it, so if you want you should plan on getting there right at 8 AM, or possibly putting down a deposit tonight.

I'd have to build a go-cart out of a saw this size. What a beast...

Wahoo, I'm number 2 on the waiting list, but there is tree service in front of me so I'm not getting my hopes up. A good friend of mine lives in Salem CT, and does a bit of business with Bozrah hardware.

Dill said:
Wahoo, I'm number 2 on the waiting list, but there is tree service in front of me so I'm not getting my hopes up. A good friend of mine lives in Salem CT, and does a bit of business with Bozrah hardware.
660 for 550 yea! Id go try to prepay!!!!!!!! thats a list you want to be #1

Its not like I really need it, but good lord thats a deal. For that price, if I fire it up a few times a year when I need a mammoth bar it won't take long to pay for itself. Or maybe get one of those Alaskan mills I've been eyeing.

Dill said:
Its not like I really need it, but good lord thats a deal. For that price, if I fire it up a few times a year when I need a mammoth bar it won't take long to pay for itself. Or maybe get one of those Alaskan mills I've been eyeing.
And if ever in a pinch thats an eazy sell at 700.00

Just called the store and the customer is nowhere to be seen, store closes at 5 PM EST, re-opens at 8 AM.

Well I haven't heard anything from my buddy this morning, so I don't think its coming home to NH.

Just called this morning, someone bought it. Which one of you was it?

CT-Mike said:
Just called this morning, someone bought it. Which one of you was it?
hahahaha i got it and its sweeeeeeet just kidding i knew there would be people standing in line for that deal!

Wish it was me. Couldn't justify the price for a saw I don't need even if it was a great price. NOW, if it was an 880, my tent would have been out last night.
Chad

Aside from an arborist or logger cutting the uncommon old growth tree, what possible use could anyone in the northeast have for a 90cc saw, let alone a 120cc saw? For that matter I don't think I have met a single arborist or logger in the northeast commonly running anything larger that an 80cc range saw, and even saws that large are only used occasionally. Pro saw shops in Maine stock very few saws above the 70cc range, and we probably have more commercial cutting going on than the rest of New England combined. If having a ridiculously over sized saw makes folks happy have at it, but for god sakes wear the PPE and be extra careful with those beasts.

I've posted the last oak I cut a few times, but it buried my 28" bar. Why, just because. If I could cut a large tree (lets go with 26") with one cut and cuts through it without bogging, I'd be happy. Sure there is a place for every saw and that is why I have some many, but for "that time" I would like to have the right saw. My Solo does that right now and is why I couldn't justify this one. Run as close to the optimum and you will be that much more happy. Running a 036 in a 25" oak can be done, but if I have an 80ccc saw it would be much better.

If the 036 is bogging down on a 26" cut you either have saw performance issues or filing issues. Also a 28" bar might be a tad over sized for that head, I don't have an 036 manual anymore, but 24" sticks out in my head. A properly filed chain on a well dressed 24" bar means you can easily buck 48" logs, and unless the saw has issues or its a particularly nasty section of wood, the saw should not be bogging down with the bar buried. I have said it before, but most people have cutting performance issues because of poor filing and bar care, not because they have too little power.

I have a 372xp which is a big saw. It'll cut most anything. But I get some really big maple and oak, either off fence lines I clear or stuff tree services drop off. So I was thinking of slapping a 30 inch bar on this sthil and using it very little, but when I wanted to buck up a monster it would be quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.