Possible NEW source of storage tanks - any interest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I've started discussions with a propane tank manufacturer along two lines:

1) Making a tank designed for hydronic system heat storage. Basically a lighter duty propane tank sized to fit through a normal doorway and stand on end in a normal basement. Probably be around 200 gallons - maybe a bit more. Would be ASME tanks designed for 30 psi operating pressure, and would have fittings in the ends and internal baffles to reduce mixing and maintain stratification.

2) Modifying refurbished propane tanks with more useful fittings to facilitate use in hydronic systems.

For dealers and system integrators / installers: Any sense of how much actual interest there might be in such products? Don't need firm numbers, but I'd like at least a rough sense. These would probably be sold through existing propane tank distribution networks, but if any dealers are interested I'll be glad to connect you with the manufacturer,

For everyone: Any thoughts / suggestions / comments? Anyone willing to be a test bed?

I won't be involved in any way other than being a catalyst. I'd like to see something along these lines, and it seems like the time is right. Based on the price of propane tanks, these ought to be a lot less expensive than other commercial pressurized storage options.

Getting some storage is a major problem from my prospective.

There are hot water storage tanks available from a number of sources,
they're commonly used in laundry's ect. A brief web search yielded
a number of sources.

Hanson Tanks price list
is here--->http://hansontank.com/watertankpricelist2.html
Their 500 gallon tank is $6.4K and that seems to be the
standard price range accros the board.

My welder shop contact and I were bouncing around some
numbers the other morning and the materials costs for a 500gal tank
totals around $500. He has done some tank work in the past
and can get tank ends from a company in LA. But he is hesitant to
do any pressure vessel work without an engineering cert...can't
blame him.

My sense of all this is getting certified for a pressure rating is where
all the costs are involved...

Econoburn being a division of Dunkirk Boilers should have an
advantage in getting this put together....Anyone there listening?

I say pursue it.. MM

I'm open to all suggestions on storage. I'll probably end up going the propane tank route but until then, if anything better comes along, please let me know.

nofossil said:
For dealers and system integrators / installers: Any sense of how much actual interest there might be in such products? Don't need firm numbers, but I'd like at least a rough sense. These would probably be sold through existing propane tank distribution networks, but if any dealers are interested I'll be glad to connect you with the manufacturer,

Sure, there's be interest, if the price is right. Have to come up with an insulation scheme, but that's not too hard.

Joe

I would welcome any source of tanks. I have been searching for tanks here, but the propane dealers will not sell me a used tank. All the used tanks from here seem to go south by truck for scrap. Since I am in the install stage and have no storage lined up yet, I would be a willing tester - keep us posted with details!

I am in the process of starting solar installations and have been researching the storage tank issue along nofossil's idea. I have apporoached a local mfg faciltiy about the possibilty of coming up with a design for custom tanks more suited to thermal storage. I'd like to get my hands on a Lochinvar storage tank for a reasonable price. There are others also. I am hoping as the demand goes up for thermal storage competition for this market will bring prices down to consumer levels. One possibility is if there was enough people who wanted tanks I could look at pricing for buying multiple tanks. Its a little early yet. I don't think there will ever be a tank that will really be inexpensive but its all relative.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.