Possible purchase of an OWB

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Harley, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley

Harley
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Nope... not for me.... not yet anyway

A co-worker of mine is looking for some information on possibly purchasing a 2 or 3 year old OWB. It is a Mahoning model 100, wood or coal, supposed to be rated at 150,000 btu.

The house is currently heated by (mostly) a wood stove, but they have a oil burning furnace with 2 heating zones and a 3rd for DHW.

Any thoughts on this manufacturer or model? I believe the asking price is $3,500

The house is approx 2,000sf, 2 story - I'd assume well insulated, as the 2nd story was recently added. The house is located in Western MA hilltowns.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson
    Expand Collapse
    Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I know the guy who owns Mahoning because he exhibits his boilers at our show, but I have no idea if it's a good unit or if that's a fair price for a used one.

For that money, I'd want to be pretty confident that it's in good shape. That's hard even with a boiler that looks to be sound--things are not always what they seem.

3. Harley

Harley
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Thanks, Eric - I'll pass that along

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.