1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Possible purchase of an OWB

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Harley, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Nope... not for me.... not yet anyway

A co-worker of mine is looking for some information on possibly purchasing a 2 or 3 year old OWB. It is a Mahoning model 100, wood or coal, supposed to be rated at 150,000 btu.

The house is currently heated by (mostly) a wood stove, but they have a oil burning furnace with 2 heating zones and a 3rd for DHW.

Any thoughts on this manufacturer or model? I believe the asking price is $3,500

The house is approx 2,000sf, 2 story - I'd assume well insulated, as the 2nd story was recently added. The house is located in Western MA hilltowns.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I know the guy who owns Mahoning because he exhibits his boilers at our show, but I have no idea if it's a good unit or if that's a fair price for a used one.

For that money, I'd want to be pretty confident that it's in good shape. That's hard even with a boiler that looks to be sound--things are not always what they seem.
  3. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Thanks, Eric - I'll pass that along
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.