Possible wall thimble issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacInb91

Aug 17, 2016
Middle Grove NY
Hey everyone I recently bought a house which the previous owner had a pellet stove so they had the hole in the wall/foundation for the vent pipe to exit. Problem is when I removed what was left of the old thimble the whole is just big enough to put the vent pipe through and not the thimble insert. Should I cut more of the cinderblock out or remove the inside of the thimble like the previous home owner? I just bought a Pelpro PP130 and I'm trying to get it set up.

IMG_20160820_173351.jpg IMG_20160820_173317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I cut more of the cinderblock out or remove the inside of the thimble like the previous home owner?

The house is still standing, right?
It's going through masonry... I would not worry about it too much...

Dan

So why do you need a thimble? You are going thru concrete so don't need to create an airspace between the pipe and combustibles.Nor, would I think that you need to give the pipe added support. Although maybe sealing around the pipe is the issue?

So why do you need a thimble? You are going thru concrete so don't need to create an airspace between the pipe and combustibles.Nor, would I think that you need to give the pipe added support. Although maybe sealing around the pipe is the issue?
There was alot of debris In my cinderblock cavities when I ran 4in pvc thru it for my high effi furnace. Leaves.webs and wood chips. Mice maybe?

Reactions: bogieb
Although maybe sealing around the pipe is the issue?
This should take care of that 'debris' issue.....

Certainly there is no "danger" involved in going through a masonry wall.
Which I thought perhaps was the main concern...
A woodstove stove pipe thimble, going through masonry, is not insulated,
and it gets a lot hotter than a pellet stove pipe.....
I've seen my stovepipe glow during a flare up inside the pipe,
which is not an unusual occurrence with a woodstove...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have the interior thimble installed. My basement is finished so the distance from the Sheetrock to the cinder block is just wide enough for the interior thimble to butt up against the block and sit flush with the sheet rock. I don't think the thimbles would be able to connect like they are supposed to if I did cut the block out. I may just put the old exterior thimble back on that doesn't have the sleeve on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have the interior thimble installed. My basement is finished so the distance from the Sheetrock to the cinder block.

Ahh, a finished basement is an excellent reason for a thimble. My bad, my basement isn't finished so I tend to think in those terms :oops:

My stove pipe is setup similar to what you have. Thimble on inside through wall board and butted up to the brick, pipe through the brick with no gap. Only difference is outside I do not have the other half of the thimble, only the pipe sealed with high temp (red) silicone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.