Possible wood score, $30/cord of birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Found a possible wood score.
Have to buy 6 cord for $175,
Trees were cut before the sap started running, (before bird season) about 6 weeks ago.
Wood is a lot drier than if I cut anything now
Will be able to drive close cut & load. no ATV skidding, no felling, no liming needed.
To be available in 2-1/2 weeks +/-.

Another "you can't sell it " deal, Personal use firewood only.

Approximately 36 miles round trip. (3 gal. of truck gas per full cord trip)

Would put me over the top for being ahead,
I'd have 4 years supply of wood on hand.

Working out the details with a buddy, will discuss it over a round of golf. :)

Almost to good to be true.
I know, pictures if it pans out ;)

No pic of mts, but had an eagle come visit, & use a tall spruce for his hunting tree.
I think he got a gosling or duckling off the pond.
DSCF1222.JPG

Dang Dave, can't beat that price, even including gas and time - can you only get 6 cord? :) Hope it works out for you - sounds like one of the best deals I've heard of for buying wood. I've been rethinking my wood gathering - I'm 4-5 years ahead now - I think I may start selling 4 cord/year and buy 8 cord log loads - no travel, no lugging through the woods, no wear and tear on the truck, etc., etc. I would miss cutting in the woods though - but, always available if it strikes my fancy! Cheers!

Damn, still a nice picture, I think you should start a post with all your pictures.... You have some amazing stuff that most will never see. And thanks for all your advice you have given me....

Reactions: wesessiah
Wow that's an amazing price! I would love to be able to get that kind of a deal. Birch and Larch are close to the same on BTU charts and here we would pay over $200 a cord for Larch. Birch is around but harder to find. I just did a quick scan on craigslist kootenays and noticed a guy selling split Larch for $350 a cord! and another charging $175 for Lodgepole Pine (a bit more reasonable). Im done getting wood for the year and have 4 cord of Larch and 1 cord of Lodgepole c/s/s (plus 6 rounds of Birch) :(

Deals can be had if you know people or people know you. A guy called me last week, wanted to sell all the mature trees off his land. (125ish acres). Got if for 200$/acre, figuring to get 15- 20 cords /acre so around 2000 ish cords.

Great buy there if it comes through. Cuts out a bit of your work, for $30, plus gas, I'd be all over that. Great Pic too!

Dang Dave, can't beat that price, even including gas and time - can you only get 6 cord? :) Hope it works out for you - sounds like one of the best deals I've heard of for buying wood. I've been rethinking my wood gathering - I'm 4-5 years ahead now - I think I may start selling 4 cord/year and buy 8 cord log loads - no travel, no lugging through the woods, no wear and tear on the truck, etc., etc. I would miss cutting in the woods though - but, always available if it strikes my fancy! Cheers!

+1.
Have thought about that too. More efficient for sure.
Now that I'm almost 3 years ahead, buying a log load, selling 1/3 or so of it to help pay for it
would bring the cost way down.
BUT
Then I don't get to go out in the woods, fell , skid, load & enjoy the day in the woods.
Tough choice.

I spent the last 2 years getting set up to go out into a wood cutting area, fell , limb, skid etc etc.
Got a bigger trailer, ATV set up with chains, tools, rope etc...
Still fun for me.
So
I may wait until I get old to start having log loads delivered. LOL Ha Ha. ;lol

That's like gathering Halloween candy for a kid Dave. Well almost anyway.

Well Dave, it might even give you more time for an extra round or two of golf!

Well Dave, it might even give you more time for an extra round or two of golf!

After Thursday's round, (1st of the year) I need more golf time. LOL.
I need the practice :)

More golfing muscles & less working man's muscles Ha Ha. ;lol

Eagle stopped by a few times today.
Cool to see the Magpies fly off into the brush when he's around :)

Well when you get old, give me a call 982-9596.. you call, we haul. I fit 5 cords on my truck easily. If your nice or bribe me with beer I'll even have my worker stack it for you :)
+1.

Have thought about that too. More efficient for sure.
Now that I'm almost 3 years ahead, buying a log load, selling 1/3 or so of it to help pay for it
would bring the cost way down.
BUT
Then I don't get to go out in the woods, fell , skid, load & enjoy the day in the woods.
Tough choice.

I spent the last 2 years getting set up to go out into a wood cutting area, fell , limb, skid etc etc.
Got a bigger trailer, ATV set up with chains, tools, rope etc...
Still fun for me.
So
I may wait until I get old to start having log loads delivered. LOL Ha Ha. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.