Possible wood trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I saw this horse trailer on Craig's List. Looks like it could make a decent wood hauler. It has brakes, and should be capable of safely carrying a few thousand pounds.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/1433533819.html
3n73m33o05Pd5Se5R29am194792a9518a1245.jpg

3nf3k33me5Ob5P35Sc9am9e39bbb20dc01da0.jpg

All those ramps might come in handy. Leave the top on and it could be a wood shed too. You would have to load it with some fresh cut green Oak a few times to get rid of the horse smell though.

before I bought my other trailer I actually thought about the same thing, should hold quiet a bit of wood and it's enclosed, double axle to boot, I like the idea.

With an asking price of $1500, it could be a pretty good deal. If I didn't have my old Flatbed I would go have a look. The Mrs wants a horse, so having the trailer would be a step in the right direction.

Sounds nice, but I haven't heard any of our horse-owning people talking about carrying wood in their horse trailers... Hopefully if there is some reason why a horse trailer wouldn't make a good wood hauler they will chime in with a reason why... One thing I can think of is that I don't know how strong the sides of the trailer are - Any time I've seen a horse trailer going down the road, the horse has been standing on his own, so the only real strength need is maybe to give the critter something to brace against during sharp turns, which would be a lot less strain than what a pile of wood might offer... However this is purely speculation on my part, I really don't know.

Also is that center wall removeable? If not it would seem to me like it might get in the way a lot.

If you do go for it, let us know how it works out....

Gooserider

Hi -

Check corners at floor for corrosion damage; also hinge attachment areas (Good idea to protect hidden areas with spray on auto body anti rust goop). As a kid I hauled baled tobaco and the like in stock trailers. It should work well. Livestock traler should be up to the task. i think I would give it a try.

ATB,
Mike

If it has wheels that hold air and has half a floor, it will haul wood. I've used all kinds of wagons and trailers. I've used my 16' horse trailer which is nice cause you don't have to worry about stacking although it's a little harder too load and unload than an open trailer or wagon that you can get to all sides. Wish my wood was in a covered trailer now. I have 4 big loads ( 3 14' bale racks and a 10' tandem) just soaking up the fall monsoons that we seem to be having. Guess I'll haul some in today and put in the wood room to see if it will dry out enough to burn. The best wagons or trailers are the ones nobody else wants and you can just load them up and leave them full until needed.

Flatbedford said:
With an asking price of $1500, it could be a pretty good deal. If I didn't have my old Flatbed I would go have a look. The Mrs wants a horse, so having the trailer would be a step in the right direction.

$1500 seems pricey??? You can get a brand new 20' flatbed for $2300. I would think this should be more like $1,000?

Around here that brand new 20' flatbed would be much more like $3500.

Status
Not open for further replies.