Post a pic of your place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's ours a few years ago in the snow. We have since taken the big trees behind the house out. During any type of wind we were worried they were going to try to get into the stove through the ceiling or walls!

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,332
Boozie said:
I guess the next thread someone will want to start is "show us your money". :-S
OK, here's $1200. (keeping it hearth related)

100_0297.jpg

LLigetfa said:
Boozie said:
I guess the next thread someone will want to start is "show us your money". :-S
OK, here's $1200. (keeping it hearth related)

OMG, it's really happening ...... CHUCKLE!!

Awesome everyone, please keep the pics coming.
It does not matter how big or fancy a place is, or small and cosey, its just nice to see the variety, and so interesting to see them all.

My house is really not very big, or fancy, its just a nice size, and cozy is all.
It looks more drab during the daylight, but at dusk, with the kights on, in the snow the photo came out well.

Some of you have such gorgeous yards to.
Mine is rough, and thats being nice.
I have a small lawn, and a few flowers, but a large vegetable garden.
But its not really what you call landscaped, more just left as nature has it.
Most of the place is just left untouched really.
Many think with a large acreage we have a farm, but in reality its mostly just 320 acres of land left alone, except where the house and shop are, and the kids have some trails they made to ride their dirtbikes on.
The house was unfinished when we bought it, so since i like wood, had it sided in wood, and the interior floors done in mostly wood.
Its called a hybrid home, as it has timbers, but the majority was built using just regular lumber, and much of the interior walls is gyproc, with a couple being wood instead.
The layout inside could be better in areas, but overall its comfortable.

Plowing the driveway sucks in winter, never again will i have a driveway 1700 feet long.

Mcbride said:
Plowing the driveway sucks in winter, never again will i have a driveway 1700 feet long.
When we were looking for the ideal spot to build the house, I had a perfect spot in mind, about 1000 feet back overlooking a ridge. Perfect, except for 1000 foot driveway and 1000 feet of buried cable and gas line. We "settled" on 250 feet instead.

Our house is not big. Never needed or wanted a big house, neither did the wife.

Mcbride said:
Awesome everyone, please keep the pics coming.
It does not matter how big or fancy a place is, or small and cosey, its just nice to see the variety, and so interesting to see them all.

My house is really not very big, or fancy, its just a nice size, and cozy is all.
It looks more drab during the daylight, but at dusk, with the kights on, in the snow the photo came out well.

Some of you have such gorgeous yards to.
Mine is rough, and thats being nice.
I have a small lawn, and a few flowers, but a large vegetable garden.
But its not really what you call landscaped, more just left as nature has it.
Most of the place is just left untouched really.
Many think with a large acreage we have a farm, but in reality its mostly just 320 acres of land left alone, except where the house and shop are, and the kids have some trails they made to ride their dirtbikes on.
The house was unfinished when we bought it, so since i like wood, had it sided in wood, and the interior floors done in mostly wood.
Its called a hybrid home, as it has timbers, but the majority was built using just regular lumber, and much of the interior walls is gyproc, with a couple being wood instead.
The layout inside could be better in areas, but overall its comfortable.

Sounds like a great place.

Ok, I'll bite......

Attachments

• P1180031.jpg
    P1180031.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 1,378
LLigetfa said:
Mcbride said:
When we were looking for the ideal spot to build the house, I had a perfect spot in mind, about 1000 feet back overlooking a ridge. Perfect, except for 1000 foot driveway and 1000 feet of buried cable and gas line. We "settled" on 250 feet instead.

Truer words never spoken.
The new house will be about 300 feet from the road.
I learned my lesson here.

davmor said:
Our house is not big. Never needed or wanted a big house, neither did the wife.

Big, or overly ornate is not my style either.
I have gone into really BIG houses, but I do not find them to have an inviting feel, that coziness a home should have.
Same with over the top home finishing.
Gold taps, imported tile floors, where ever tile is say $50, is not my kind of place.

When looking into what to build for our next house, we toured a show home, it felt cold and dreary.
Sure it was fancy, and cost probably 3 times what our current house costs, but it was not inviting at all.
My wife said after she hated it, and was surprised it was a show home.

I do like natural wood, and large windows though.
The natural sunlight coming in makes me happy.
So the next house will have more windows.

I wanted to build a timber frame house, but after pricing one out, changed my mind, so conventional construction it is.

davmor said:
Here is a picture of our place in Northern Michigan

I had no idea you got that amount of snow there.
I live in an area known for heavy snow falls, its because the area is in a narrow valley, and so many winter storms blow down into this valley and dump the snow in huge amounts.
for some reason I always think of the main 48 states, plus hawaii as lower snow areas.
I have been to alaska several times, and seen the snow there first hand. Wow can it snow there.

Its beautiful in that blanket of white where you are.

hilly said:
Here's ours a few years ago in the snow. We have since taken the big trees behind the house out. During any type of wind we were worried they were going to try to get into the stove through the ceiling or walls!

Amazing place!

May I ask what the siding species is.

Here's ours along with a couple of photos of the back yard, bought it last February, it was built in 2007 as a Spec Home. Open concept kitchen/dining/living on main floor.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,360
  • House 2.jpg
    House 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,359
  • backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,363
davmor said:
Never needed or wanted a big house, neither did the wife.
Ja, I didn't really need the wife either but it worked out well.

Can't see any neighbors from mine:

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,337
I'm going to give you some before (or rather "during" repairs) and after pictures.
The answer to your question is "underground mine subsidence".
I did most of the landscaping myself. I also ended up being general contractor on the house before it was finished, as I had to fire my contractor. :coolgrin:
There is a 2-car garage, but I just didn't get it in that last picture of the front of the house.
I know, it's too big of a house for me and my 2 cats, but it's "home".

Attachments

• HouseBK.jpg
    HouseBK.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 2007_0518BabyRobinsTWO0006.jpg
    2007_0518BabyRobinsTWO0006.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,301
  • HouseFront.jpg
    HouseFront.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 2010_0413misc0009.jpg
    2010_0413misc0009.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 1,341
Here's the corner of the house in that one picture "afterwards".

Attachments

• 2006_0415PrincessYard0005.jpg
    2006_0415PrincessYard0005.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 1,289
Very few pics of our place exist. Here are a couple during the snow storm last year. In front of the Suburban is the 878 feet of S-curve driveway down to the stream and the road. We are on the back of five acres of woods. The last one is the path to the generator shed I had to keep digging out while the power was out for a week.

Attachments

• The big one driveway.jpg
    The big one driveway.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,282
  • The big one front porch.jpg
    The big one front porch.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,295
  • the big one the path to the generator.jpg
    the big one the path to the generator.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,252
Mixed season shots here. House in October, greenhouse in spring. sunset looking west in summer and a winter shot looking north from the porch.

Attachments

• Oct09-002web.jpg
    Oct09-002web.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_0188web.jpg
    IMG_0188web.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • sunset1_web.jpg
    sunset1_web.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,234
  • jan_snow-web3.jpg
    jan_snow-web3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,245
BeGreen said:
Mixed season shots here. House in October, greenhouse in spring. sunset looking west in summer and a winter shot looking north from the porch.

What are the beautiful blue flowers in the greenhouse picture?

Boozie said:
I'm going to give you some before (or rather "during" repairs) and after pictures.
The answer to your question is "underground mine subsidence".
I did most of the landscaping myself. I also ended up being general contractor on the house before it was finished, as I had to fire my contractor. :coolgrin:
There is a 2-car garage, but I just didn't get it in the picture.
I know, it's too big of a house for me and my 2 cats, but it's "home".

hahahaha that "before" pic made me think, "dang, he's gonna store a lot of wood under his house"......hehe

Mcbride said:
hilly said:

Amazing place!

May I ask what the siding species is.

The siding is western red cedar.

Boozie said:
BeGreen said:

What are the beautiful blue flowers in the greenhouse picture?

That's a ceanothus plant. Nice spring color. We have several of them. Some varieties get really huge, some are ground huggers. It's an evergreen. This one got ***** by a male deer at a young age. He used it to clean the felt off his antlers. We almost lost it, but it came back and is doing well now.

http://www.northwestgardennews.com/id210.html

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far, its so cool to see the variety of homes.

I hope more people post up , this is great.

Some of the reno jobs are amazing to.
And I saw a greenhouse that looks nicer than the first house i bought. No I am not kidding. My first home was so tiny, and a dump, but it was mine.
Never got along with my dad, so moved out while young, and rented the place. The owner wanted to sell as she was a single elderly lady, so bought it from her.
Could not cook and do laundry at the same time or it blew a fuse.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.