post pictures Holz Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hi i am seriously considering stacking my wood with the hh method could someone please post a picture of there hh wood piles and give me tips on how to make them i will make them on pallets with a 10ft emt in the center

thanks
Jason

rooster,

use the search feature. it will reveal all that ye ask.

I switched several of my linear stacks to holz hausen style. I am sold on it. They hold a tremendous amout of wood! And look cool. I have received alot of comments from the neighbors. I wish I had a digital camera to post pics.

I have tried standard and 'Holz Hausen' style stacks off and on since the '70's. An old German Gamekeepers son showed me how he wanted it stacked, and I obliged as he had a particularly fetching daughter. The inboard butt ends need to be higher than the outboard side so that watter is shed instead of running inboard. Also don't make a bigger/taller stack if very old or young folks will be fetching the wood. I never noticed any better or worse drying performance. All split stacked wood a season old or better burned well.

ATB,
Mike P

zzr7ky said:
he had a particularly fetching daughter.

His daughter retreived wood??? (oh look, a pun on 2 separate levels... wood... ha! I kill me!)

zzr7ky said:
The inboard butt ends need to be higher than the outboard side

yeah, but isn't that the same with all women???

-- Mike

PS - would someone tell me how wide your average Aryan Wood Circle AKA HolzHausen is?

Hi -

On nice sandy well drained spots we made them 8-10' across and As High as we could reach. Where I live now is wetter, muddier so I like ot place 4, 4' square pallets down and make a 9' diameter circle that peeks over the edge6" on each side.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.