1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Post Sandy fatal chainsaw accident

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mywaynow, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/11/union_twp_man_dies_of_head_inj.html

Just heard about this one. Apparently in a bid to help a neighbor out, this person was struck by a torqued limb as he cut it loose. He was wearing safety glasses which were apparently no match for the impact. I was told he was conscious and alert, although in shock after the incident. He even tried to continue cutting and was refusing medical assistance. EMS called for the medivac which he was on when he passed. Need I say it, be careful out there.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Had a tree service drop a bunch of trees in my backyard after Sandy came thru....trees just lying down on each other....studied the stack for a few minutes before just about every cut....look at how it's laying....look at where it might roll....and make sure I have a clear escape route. If it's in a position that looks stressed....cut a little...back off and watch....cut a little more
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Same here. I even said to my wife, that there will be some serious injuries from this cleanup. Our huge pine tree stumps spung back up into the ground after cutting them and releasing the stress. If someone didn't expect that, it could be a mess!

Attached Files:

4. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    There was a tragic story sometime back about a little boy playing in a hole under the root ball of a huge tree that had blown over. His grandfather was cutting away at the tree. Once enough weight had been cut away, the root ball sprang upright and settled back down into its hole, crushing the little boy.