Post Sandy fatal chainsaw accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/11/union_twp_man_dies_of_head_inj.html

Just heard about this one. Apparently in a bid to help a neighbor out, this person was struck by a torqued limb as he cut it loose. He was wearing safety glasses which were apparently no match for the impact. I was told he was conscious and alert, although in shock after the incident. He even tried to continue cutting and was refusing medical assistance. EMS called for the medivac which he was on when he passed. Need I say it, be careful out there.

Had a tree service drop a bunch of trees in my backyard after Sandy came thru....trees just lying down on each other....studied the stack for a few minutes before just about every cut....look at how it's laying....look at where it might roll....and make sure I have a clear escape route. If it's in a position that looks stressed....cut a little...back off and watch....cut a little more

Had a tree service drop a bunch of trees in my backyard after Sandy came thru....trees just lying down on each other....studied the stack for a few minutes before just about every cut....look at how it's laying....look at where it might roll....and make sure I have a clear escape route. If it's in a position that looks stressed....cut a little...back off and watch....cut a little more
Same here. I even said to my wife, that there will be some serious injuries from this cleanup. Our huge pine tree stumps spung back up into the ground after cutting them and releasing the stress. If someone didn't expect that, it could be a mess!

Attachments

• double gate monster.jpg
    double gate monster.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 168
There was a tragic story sometime back about a little boy playing in a hole under the root ball of a huge tree that had blown over. His grandfather was cutting away at the tree. Once enough weight had been cut away, the root ball sprang upright and settled back down into its hole, crushing the little boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.