Q&A Pot Belly Installation- into gas chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a potbelly stove that I would like to put in my house. It is in very good shape. I currently have a gas fireplace and I would like to use it's existing pipe for the chimney and not use the fireplace. The pipe is about 25 feet long with 2 bends in it. It is Class B insulated pipe- 4 inches in diameter. The stove takes 6 inch pipe. Would it be possible to use this existing pipe? I live in Florida and cannot find anyone that knows for sure. I am quite sure I will have enough draw- but my concern is the 4 inch type B pipe. Any assistance that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I just love the info you provide! Thanks in advance!Pot Belly Stove

Answer:

DO NOT USE CLASS B Chimney- it is just for GAS. You must use class A Chimney. Class B cannot take the high temperatures of wood burning

Status
Not open for further replies.