Q&A Pot Belly Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been offered a Pot Belly Stove which is currently in storage. I wanted to get an alternate non-fossil fuel heat (and possibly cooking) source for my home in case of emergency. I have a few questions about this particular model of stove:

1. Would I be better off passing on the offer and get a new version of a wood burning stove?
2. Assuming that I have a professional install a chimney and this stove would be placed in the basement of a two story house, in this particular case is there any advantage to masonry vs metal chimney (#2 in your article)?
3. Will the EPA Nazi's come after me for even attempting to install something like this even though I would not use it on a day to day basis?
4. Will I cause more harm (or create potential fire hazard) by not using the stove regularly?

Answer:

1. For occasional and emergency use you are probably OK if the stove is sound.
2. Metal can draft better and warm quicker..but if masonry is the look you desire on the outside of your home, then go for it.
3. No, in most areas, used stoves are grandfathered. Exception is certain districts like Denver, Reno, etc.
4. No, use it as you like. An older stove that lets in lots of combustion air is not likely to be a big creosote producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.