Pot Pourri of Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jocam

Nov 7, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I am enjoying my Morso Insert beyond my wildest dreams. I love burning wood now.
Here are some "burning" questions.

1. Is it illegal or not recommended to put a wood stove in your bedroom? I'm thinking of our master BR, which is cold now that the insert heats up and shuts down the call for heat from the furnace. I'm trying the "fan toward the stove" technique but have not passed judgement yet on heat redistribution.
The idea of having a small stove in my bedroom sounds very enticing.

2. The floor in front of my insert which is oak gunstock is 130 degrees at 25 inches in front of the door/hearth. The insert is 12.5 inches off the floor. Is this something to worry about? The dog loves it too at this distance. At what temp would I expect them both (dog and floor) to ignite?

3. When I shut down my primary air, the flames around the wood seem to diminish or disappear but the secondaries keep going. Is this what is expected and proper? I'm partial to leaving the air wide open as I am dazzled by the "fires of hell" appearance inside the box. I think I would burn a cord of wood per day doing this. This insert eats wood voraciously when humming.

4. I have a nice piece of art above the stove beyond the the recommended clearance. I have no mantel. The picture gets hot and I'm afraid it will melt. Does anyone have a recommendation for an "invisible" or "visually acceptable, wife pleasing" alternative?

5. I am an urban professional. I am having trouble. I am constantly thinking about procuring more wood, stacking techniques, building a wood shed, and buying a pick up truck...etc. I have spent more time on this website than....(insert job requirement here). Is there a convention I can go to? Wouldn't that be cool?

Cheers

1. Of course you can put a wood stove in bedroom but I would not recommend it. You'll have to carry wood up the stairs and the wife will quickly notice the mess. You have to be sure you have a good supply of fresh air and in a quiet room the fire might make to much noise.
2. 130 is not to hot. Some deserts get that hot. If your worried put a hearth rug in front the dog will love it.
3. Yes the secondaries go stronger after you first shut the air down. You will get over watching the secondaries all the time and soon shut the air down to preserve wood. Trust me on this one.
4. Move the art if its valuable and take the dw to a bazaar to find something to go there. Perhaps a stained glass pic or a set of decorator vases she will love shopping.
5. At least its a disease that keeps you warm.

1. Is it illegal or not recommended to put a wood stove in your bedroom? fireplaces and wood stoves have been used in bedrooms for many years. Geez, look at any colonial home from the 18th Century! There are, of course, certain areas where burning wood is prohibited in that particular community, but other than that, you should be "good to go" as they say. Check with your local Town Hall for any regulations in your area.

2. .........At what temp would I expect them both (dog and floor) to ignite? Someone in here told me that things in the room would have to get to 450ºF before spontaneous combustion occurred.

3. When I shut down my primary air, the flames around the wood seem to diminish or disappear but the secondaries keep going. Is this what is expected and proper? Flames WILL diminish and Secondaries WILL burn, ......but.......Secondaries can and do kick in even when the damper is PARTIALLY closed (at least in MY stove anyway), and I like to see SOME flame going on in the wood, to avoid a "smoldering fire" situation

4. I have a nice piece of art above the stove beyond the the recommended clearance. I have no mantel. The picture gets hot and I’m afraid it will melt. Does anyone have a recommendation for an “invisible” or “visually acceptable, wife pleasing” alternative? Move the art work.

5. I am an urban professional. I am having trouble. I am constantly thinking about procuring more wood, stacking techniques, building a wood shed, and buying a pick up truck…etc. I have spent more time on this website than….(insert job requirement here). Is there a convention I can go to? Wouldn’t that be cool? Yep, WOULD be cool! You have a sickness that we've all been passing around in here. It's an epidemic!!!

Here's a link to an Exposition of Stove Manufacturers, etc., but it's in Utah. There is also a version of this show, in Orlando in March.

http://www.hpbexpo.com/pub/About-the-Show#what

http://www.youtube.com/user/HPBExpo

-Soupy1957

Don't put a wood stove or fireplace in a bedroom. No. Not good. Would not pass inspection. Fire insurance would really frown and probably cancel you.

If you are worried about the heat, turn it down a bit.

You do not have to shut down the air all they way! Leave it part way open for more flames.

I'd move that art to preserve it. Remember that with wood heat, the air will be extra dry.

You do not have a problem if you are constantly thinking about wood, stacking, splitting, wood sheds, etc. You have a new hobby. Enjoy it.

The best thing to a convention I ever attended was the party up at West Lebanon, NH when we visited the Woodstock Factory. We had a grand time!

My floor under the stove gets really hot also but i think its just normal.

I bought my wife one of those electric fireplaces with the fake flames for her birthday and put it in the bedroom. She LOVES it. I usually just turn on the flames for ambiance and not the heater because I'm cheap and electricity is not, and my bedrooms upstairs are kept nice and toasty by my C550 downstairs. But the few times I have turned on the electric it warms the big bedroom up nice. Got it new on e-bay for like $175. Happy wife Happy Life!!

corey21 said:

There is no "normal". There are lots of variables in stove design. Some stoves have ashpans, bottom heat shields, or pedestal bases that lessen bottom heat radiation. Some don't have anything. Some have long legs, some have short legs.

The Magnolia does get hot underneath as compared to some stoves. That's why it requires a hearth minimum of R 1.0.

BeGreen said:
corey21 said:

There is no "normal". There are lots of variables in stove design. Some stoves have ashpans, bottom heat shields, or pedestal bases that lessen bottom heat radiation. Some don't have anything. Some have long legs, some have short legs.

The Magnolia does get hot underneath as compared to some stoves. That's why it requires a hearth minimum of R 1.0.

So that would be 1 inch thick. i got the hearth pad from tractor supply i thought it would work but i could be wrong.

Thickness depends on the design. Not sure about the TS pad, provide a link if you can.

Got it. The UL rated HY-C board is R=.45. It would be good to double it up with a second board to get closer to the required R=1.0.

http://www.hyccompany.com/pdfs/STOVEBOA.PDF

PS: I just noticed that Tractor Supply sells Imperial Stove boards. Unfortunately Imperial doesn't seem to have a product sheet for them. Do you have some documentation with their stove board that list the R or K value? It's probably the same, but I like to be sure.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I don't think you can say words like pot pourri here :p

Why not, too dreamy? %-P

BeGreen said:
Got it. The UL rated HY-C board is R=.45. It would be good to double it up with a second board to get closer to the required R=1.0.

http://www.hyccompany.com/pdfs/STOVEBOA.PDF

PS: I just noticed that Tractor Supply sells Imperial Stove boards. Unfortunately Imperial doesn't seem to have a product sheet for them. Do you have some documentation with their stove board that list the R or K value? It's probably the same, but I like to be sure.
the imperial stove board is what i have since its from TS. Cant find any spec sheet either. Do you think i should double it up with one more. Or will it be OK like it is?

Best to contact Imperial to find out the board's specifications. I would just be speculating.

BeGreen said:
Best to contact Imperial to find out the board's specifications. I would just be speculating.
Thank you for the help BeGreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.