Potatoes and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
leeave96 said:
My father in law use to burn orange peels to keep the chimney clean.

I'll stick to seasoned wood and a brush down the chimney!

Bill

One of my uncles used to dry orange peels near his fireplace and then burn them. He would cut them into spirals so that the peel from one orange would be in one long piece. They would burn like crazy and would make quite a show. One day my cousin and a friend threw too many dried orange peels in the fireplace and started a chimney fire. Fortunately, they had a fire extinguisher and were able to put out the chimney fire.

My nieghbor has mentioned the beer can burn every once in a while. His experience being his father with an open burning fireplace.
Prior to installing my insert I inspected the flue every fall and brushed with a stiff scrub brush attached to my pool pole, never had more than a 1/2 cup of soot in the bottom.
I've been running some SYP through the insert the past few weeks its been seasoned 3 years prior to standing dead from beetle kill the previous summer.
I went up to inspect last friday and have nothing more than the usual light brown dust on the last few feet of liner barely anything on the cap either.
Anyone else find a correlation between glass sooting up and stack soot, this year my wood is actually seasoned as opposed to past 1/2-1yr seasoned wood, with lots of glass cleaning, and 3 brushes a season with fairly decent upper stack buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.