Potential Darwin Award with Tarm Solo 55MB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhills

Jun 26, 2008
Central Maine
Under the category of 'What Where You Thinking'

I have a Tarm Solo 55MB. It is a natural draft, single pass, wood boiler with a secondary air inlet covered by a rosette.
With an 8" Flue.

That secondary outside air is piped into the bottom of the boiler as the gases rise past the exchange to the flue.

What if I piped a small amount of exhaust, say a 3" hose, back into the secondary air inlet and mixed it with a little fresh air.

Would their be enough draft to keep the gasses moving?

Would it create a bomb?

Would the resultant increase in temperature exceed the spec on the boiler?

Would the flue gases simply condense too fast and clog the pipe?

I guess I'm just trying to understand the secondary air inlet a little better and want as many btu's as possible.
But the instructions of 'closing the rosette to half during a burn', leave little evidence in the why would one do that?

Trying not to blow up the house.

Ed

I don't think it would do anything much.

As I see it, there are maybe two ways to get more heat off that boiler...

One would be some storage, mix-valve, etc. setup so that boiler could run hotter in general.....maybe full bore.

The other would be to experiment in some vein as you are thinking -----but more with the idea of perhaps closing off some of the outlet area (at rear bottom of firebox), adding refractories in lower firebox to increase temp, and maybe installing some kind of turbolators into the upright heat exchange channels in rear. This might go along with #1 and even use a draft fan if you have storage.......

Status
Not open for further replies.