Potential Gas backup boiler? Thoughts anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hi all, I stumbled across these units and was wondering if it could be used as a backup boiler for when the wood boiler is off. Nofo is using a on demand DHW gas heater as a backup to is wood boiler and the concern I heard with that was they were not ment to take in HOT water to heat, that those devices are expecting 50 deg water.

This unit since its for a pool I would think would be able to accept pre-heated water. They are not overly expensive, theres a 100K for under $800.

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/HAY-H100IDP1.htm

~ Phil

My first thought is its not very efficient at only 81% . the funny thing here is this is a pool and spa heater , I thought there was a lot of discussion about using copper as heat exchangers for spas and hot tubs , evidently there must not be a problem seeing the exchanger is copper.

Yeah I thought the same thing, Nofo has had his homemade unit in for many years with no ill effect. We hardly use our oil boiler now, maybe two weeks a year we are away and its fully heats off of it and then just an occasionaly day here or there it kicks on. So a gas type heater like this would be good.

mpilihp said:
concern I heard with that was they were not ment to take in HOT water to heat, that those devices are expecting 50 deg water.

~ Phil

I have a Bosch on demand pilotless that I use for DHW backup. Before I had the gasifier, I preheated the water entering the on demand unit with a DHW coil in the oil burner; there was never a problem. The only thing to consider is that these units have a max. temp. as their output. If the output exceeds this temp., the unit will shut down. I think for my bosch it is about 190 °F .......not a problem, because you can regulate the Δ T with the gas valve.

I would not use a pool heater in lieu of a boiler.

An on-demand DHW heater like a Rinnai, Takagi or Noritz would be decent candidates and are not that much more money.
Preheated water is not going to affect them and the efficiency will be a fair bit higher.

Many of their models can function as boilers.

webie said:
My first thought is its not very efficient at only 81% . the funny thing here is this is a pool and spa heater , I thought there was a lot of discussion about using copper as heat exchangers for spas and hot tubs , evidently there must not be a problem seeing the exchanger is copper.

There is a good reason a lot of pool heaters get replaced every 6-8 years..........think about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.