Potential problem lining my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiden

Oct 5, 2010
Katonah NY
Well the fireplace insert I want to get has a 6" flue diameter. So I took a look up my fire place to see what I'm dealing with and see the original cast iron damper embedded in the chimney throat that has an opening of 3"x30". Then I see what looks to be a round chimney flue of about 8" diameter. Problem is even if I cut out the metal damper I will not have my 6" needed. Looks like I would have to chop into the brick chimney throat and smoke shelf to run the stainless steel liner. Sounds extreme to me. I was wondering do they make custom pieces for such a situation like a 6" round to a 3"x12" oval back to 6" round connection piece?
Has anyone of you had a similar problem?

One of the members on this site owns http://www.magnaflex.us/ I believe.(TheHeatElement maybe?) He may be able to oval out the last few feet of a 6" liner if that is any help. You may want to send him a pm to see if he can help.

Harbor Freight Tools has a great little electric hammer gun which comes with bits for $30 I think. I bet you could have that damper out and the opening the proper size in an hour.

Thanks guys I'm going to the stove dealer Saturday If they don't have a solution I will try to contact Magna flex. As far as chopping out the damper and brick I have a grinder,chopping gun and sawzall hope that does it. I found a pic that shows pretty much what I have going on, hope the link will post up. If you look at the area of the smoke shelf and throat area that is where I only have 3" of space if I grind out the damper I maybe have 4" of space. Seems like I have to do a lot of work to get one of these stoves. On top of getting the insert in properly I also need to remove my mantle and construct a new hearth,in order to be in compliance with the stove specs. Seems worth it to me still because I'm sick of spending thousands a year on oil.

http://www.carsondunlop.com/OBS/fireplaces.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.