Poulan® 18 in. 40 cc Wild Thing or Husqvarna 235 16-Inch 34.4cc ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They where 40 when I looked for a 18" bar but you should stick a 16" on if you want power.

Pete

My old one lasted one tree then died ! St felt cheap and sounded cheap.

Pete

Well I have the ash trees coming down,14,16,18,and a 20 inch, to cut up,then later the 2 Oaks will be coming down,one is 24 inch

If your willing this weekend I can meet you at Dicker and Deal and we can look over there used saw collection in lansing. They have a bunch usually husky, dolmar, some stihl and a few others. I would not buy the homelite they are not to durable anymore. The old ones where built like tanks but not the new ones.

Pete

Hey HD, Might be worth taking Pete up on that offer. You may be a little disappointed in a 50 cc saw in some of that wood. 50cc is 16-18" bar territory if you want any kind of power. If you're not in a huge hurry, you may wanna look in the 60 cc used class of saws. 036/MS 360 or similar Husky or J Red. You'll die of old age/boredom waiting on the poulan type saw with an 18" bar & lo pro chain in that wood. Pete knows his saws pretty well, & can give you some good advice. A C

Now I need to do some research on different chain tooth configurations. Only thing I have ever used are, low pro ,chains
Boy ! how little I really know :) but I'm a fast learner

When it comes to B&C, there are many options for Stihl that are not OEM. GB, Oregon, Cannon, Windsor... and they all run fine. I like my GB bars the best, but they are not making them in Oz like they used to any more. I run mostly Stihl and GB bars, and mostly Stihl and Carlton chain, but I have a few Oregon bars and loops around. You can also get good used bars out there...

Bigger trees than I think you would want to attack with 45cc. Yes it can be done, I did for many years, but cutting is slow and hard on the saw.
Best bang for the buck is the Makita/Dolmar 6400 from the Home Depot tool rental fleet. They sell off for $200-250, 64cc, and can be bumped to the 79cc for about $200 in the future. Fast and smooth. Hard to find, you just have to keep calling all the tool rentals every month or so.
kcj

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Reactions: Pallet Pete
He has good older saws quite often.That McCulloch Pro Mac 55 looks good too. A few months back he sold a Mac SP125,Jonsered 2095, 2 - Husky 288XPs & even a Stihl 090 w/ 48" bar/chain all within about 2 weeks time.Gets some large old muscle saws in fairly regularly.

Thistle I am half tempted to buy that Husky 61 ! I am going to ask this seller to the watch list.

Pete

Thistle , have you been watching this seller ? Have U bought from him?
I have looked at so many saws my brain is getting fried.
I might just get this 61 or go to menards and get a POULAN PRO PP5020AV

Thistle , have you been watching this seller ? Have U bought from him?
I have looked at so many saws my brain is getting fried.
I might just get this 61 or go to menards and get a POULAN PRO PP5020AV

Never bought from him,but I do watch his sales from time to time.Nice to get a rough idea what certain items are going for,overall.

One of these days I'll get lucky with a seller having what I'm looking for + having the spare cash right then at the same time.I'm a patient man. If it was me,I'd use the money on an older saw like that 61.Much more durable build quality than any of the Poulans (or smaller-mid sized consumer Husky's for that matter) from the past decade or so IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.