Poulan Junk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So while you guys are all here. What saw would you purchase for under $300. I have seen something terrible said about every brand but sthil so far.

So while you guys are all here. What saw would you purchase for under $300. I have seen something terrible said about every brand but sthil so far.

As someone who has owned a few Stihls I could say a few bad things about them. But I don't want to brand bash.

What I will say is Stihls quality on the homeowner and farm saws ( saws that not still manufactured in Germany like their bigger saws ) are hit or miss. Stihl charges a premium price for an average homeowner saw at best.

Example.
Stihl Ms 250. Plastic clamshell construction. Bar studs go into plastic and will fail if you over tighten them, Non adjustable oiler that doesn't put out enough oil, rubber AV mounts, cheaper painted muffler. Price $300

Dolmar PS421. Pro construction with cylinder bolted directly onto magnesium cases, adjustable oiler that can really put out a lot of oil on high, Spring AV, Better air filter system, stainless steel muffler, price $340

I could go on but I won't.

The fact is in the $300 to $450 dollar small homeowner saw market, Which is Stihls cash cow by the way, they are making a fortune by developing a superb marketing plan and creating high brand awareness and high level of perceived value. When in reality there are many saws in this market that represent a better value , and atleast the same quality and in some cases better quality.

The pro Stihl saws especially the bigger ones are superb. Yes they have occasional issues but every brand does. My nit picky complaint with the pro 261 and 362 is for a $600 and $700 dollar saw, please put a stinking metal handle on it ! It gets cold were I live, plastic can break easier in the cold. If that's too picky how about the fact it's $700 dollars and your putting a plastic handle on it ! I guess more profits for Stihl.

I don't think Stihls pro saws are any better than Husky, Jonsered , or Dolmar and arguments can be made about all of them having pluses and minus. But a person who spends $800 to $1000 on a new saw probably is not buying their 1 st saw and knows what their money is buying.

To a new user, it can be easy to just assume their hard earned money is best spent on a Stihl MS250 but in reality that's not always the case.

To answer the question which saw for $300 couple suggestions would be to come up with an extra $40 or so bucks and look at the Dolmar 421 or I'd buy a used pro saw a nice clean Stihl 026 or something similiar in any of the good brands out there. That's just me. Just what I would do.

Last edited:
As someone who has owned a few Stihls I could say a few bad things about them. But I don't want to brand bash.

What I will say is Stihls quality on the homeowner and farm saws ( saws that not still manufactured in Germany like their bigger saws ) are hit or miss. Stihl charges a premium price for an average homeowner saw at best.

Example.
Stihl Ms 250. Plastic clamshell construction. Bar studs go into plastic and will fail if you over tighten them, Non adjustable oiler that doesn't put out enough oil, rubber AV mounts, cheaper painted muffler. Price $300

Dolmar PS421. Pro construction with cylinder bolted directly onto magnesium cases, adjustable oiler that can really put out a lot of oil on high, Spring AV, Better air filter system, stainless steel muffler, price $340

I could go on but I won't.

The fact is in the $300 to $450 dollar small homeowner saw market, Which is Stihls cash cow by the way, they are making a fortune by developing a superb marketing plan and creating high brand awareness and high level of perceived value. When in reality there are many saws in this market that represent a better value , and atleast the same quality and in some cases better quality.

The pro Stihl saws especially the bigger ones are superb. Yes they have occasional issues but every brand does. My nit picky complaint with the pro 261 and 362 is for a $600 and $700 dollar saw, please put a stinking metal handle on it ! It gets cold were I live, plastic can break easier in the cold. If that's too picky how about the fact it's $700 dollars and your putting a plastic handle on it ! I guess more profits for Stihl.

I don't think Stihls pro saws are any better than Husky, Jonsered , or Dolmar and arguments can be made about all of them having pluses and minus. But a person who spends $800 to $1000 on a new saw probably is not buying their 1 st saw and knows what their money is buying.

To a new user, it can be easy to just assume their hard earned money is best spent on a Stihl MS250 but in reality that's not always the case.

To answer the question which saw for $300 couple suggestions would be to come up with an extra $40 or so bucks and look at the Dolmar 421 or I'd buy a used pro saw a nice clean Stihl 026 or something similiar in any of the good brands out there. That's just me. Just what I would do.
Thanks. I'm new to cutting my own wood, and just now starting to make a hobby out of it. I only know what I hear about saws. My 90's era craftsman is tip top right now, but I realize it won't last forever. I specified $300 because I figured that's how much I would want to spend when the time comes for a better saw. I'll stretch that in the future to get better.
Now I know don't just go buy the sthil.
I like a medium to smaller saw. Anything real big I borrow my dad's McCullough 60cc. Honestly I have been real impressed with his 48v lithium electric saw with 12" bar. He can cut through just about anything with that combination. And it's light silent and a joy to use.
Maybe that sounds dumb to a pro. But as a homeowner starting out it seems pretty nice.

Thanks. I'm new to cutting my own wood, and just now starting to make a hobby out of it. I only know what I hear about saws. My 90's era craftsman is tip top right now, but I realize it won't last forever. I specified $300 because I figured that's how much I would want to spend when the time comes for a better saw. I'll stretch that in the future to get better.
Now I know don't just go buy the sthil.
I like a medium to smaller saw. Anything real big I borrow my dad's McCullough 60cc. Honestly I have been real impressed with his 48v lithium electric saw with 12" bar. He can cut through just about anything with that combination. And it's light silent and a joy to use.
Maybe that sounds dumb to a pro. But as a homeowner starting out it seems pretty nice.

I think it makes good sense. I'm no pro although I do part time tree service work and I've cut lots of trees, I'm still not a pro. Although I consider myself very experienced and That said, there's nothing wrong with a battery or electric saw if it fits your needs. It has some advantages such as no oil/gas to mix or worry about getting old, no noise if you live in a noise restricted area , no engine tuning, etc.

If I had a battery saw I'd have no issues using it for jobs around my property where it made sense.

They all cut wood just keep the chain sharp ( and your battery charged if going that direction) and be careful. Don't let the fact it's a battery saw deter you from wearing PPE. That battery saws chain hurts the same when it hits your skin.

In my experience, which ain't much, the Stihl/Husky debate is like the Ford/Chevy debate. Buy the best saw with what you can afford, good local dealer support, and maintain the thing. I started with Stihl because that's what my Ford-loving buddies told me was the best. I've had mostly homeowner saws and still do have some, and recently upgraded to a few pro style saws. And I have a Ford also lol

Status
Not open for further replies.