Poulan Pro 330 Deal at TSC, NH only?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Yo,
Though I wouldn't be caught dead with a Poulan product (not even as a step-stool!), I saw a couple 330's at the local TSC on clearance for $179. Supposedly, this is supposed to be a great saw value.

I'll stick with my Stihls, but thought I'd let you all know in case you need a value saw.

S

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. Stihl is in my opinion the best saw on the market. I have several. (No offense to the Husky fans out there) I also have at least one of the Poulan saws you are talking about. Quite frankly if you want to feel that way fine, but this old boy is not a saw snob. I use what works, and I buy what I perceive to give the most bang for the buck. That 330 Poulan Pro is not a Stihl, but for the price it is a lot of saw. I would go so far as to predict that if you have the capability of doing an accurate cost analysis you will find that it actually gives you more value for your money than the Stihl. So if you don't feel like your hands could stand the feel of a Poulan, just walk on by and leave it for someone whose pride might take a back seat to his sense of value. I replaced the stock chain with an Oregon LGX in 3/8 pitch and never looked back. It is a fantastic limbing saw and excellent for most firewood cutting. In my opinion it would benefit further from a better bar, maybe a 16 or even 20 inch--which it will get when needed. If I need to cut something larger I have an MS660, an 046, and others, but for what it cost and the way it runs it is a very good saw. If my TSC had a couple more of them, they would be mine, however they only stocked a few since it is in reality about a two-year-old saw that was just never sold, hence the clearance price.

cuznguido, saw snob? Not necessarily. Someone who doesn't want to screw around with starting his saw every time? Absolutely. Had three different Poulan weed wackers from Sears ('price was right')--couldn't start 'em. Bought a Husky, perfect. Tried a Poulan Pro blower, or two, pain in the butt to start. Bought an Echo, perfect.

Let's face it: there's a reason why they're called 'Pull-on' by many and why they're much, MUCH cheaper than Stihl, Echo, or Husky products.

In any case, some people have mentioned this 330 is a decent saw (made by another company, I believe!), which is why I posted it. Given my experience with Poulan products, I'll steer clear.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.