Poulan Stalls After 10 Minutes or So

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
This just recently started occuring.
With plenty of gas & bar oil, my Poulan saw
stalls after approx. 10 -15 minutes of operation.
Successive attemps to re-start result in same stalling almost immediately.
Overheating??

Um. . . its a Pull-on

The fact that you got 10 minutes outta it requires a mini celebration

how old is your fuel and the oil you mixed into it?

Its not over heating sounds like a vacuum leak. Check fuel lines cracks thats the easiest place to start.

smokinjay said:
Its not over heating sounds like a vacuum leak. Check fuel lines cracks thats the easiest place to start.
not just fuel lines, but make sure the carb is seated tightly, sometimes those gaskets shrink and/or harden and need tightened up so they don't let air through, least that's my experience with other cheap trimmers and such, never my Stihl ;) ... Just throwin out ideas here.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
not just fuel lines, but make sure the carb is seated tightly, sometimes those gaskets shrink and/or harden and need tightened up so they don't let air through, least that's my experience with other cheap trimmers and such, never my Stihl ;) ... Just throwin out ideas here.

+1 Yes wouldn't that be COOL! lol it happens though!

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:

+1 Yes wouldn't that be COOL! lol it happens though!
lol, Jay. You and I both know that it's hardly ever that easy. It could be, it just never seems to turn out that way.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Overheating??

Describe what the saw does right before it dies if you could.

HittinSteel said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Overheating??

I go from idle to engaging the chain...starts to sound "doggy" & then dies.
Otherwise it runs perfectly normal up until then.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
HittinSteel said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Overheating??

yep, you are probably running too lean. Could be air getting into the system like suggested. Could be poor fuel. Could be that you need to mess with the mixture screw.

as mentioned elsewhere on the forum recently. Lean is bad. Less fuel in the system on a 2-cycle, also means less lubricant (oil) and that could seize you up.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Um. . . its a Pull-on

I don't think unhelpful comments are what this site is about.

DanCorcoran said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Um. . . its a Pull-on

I don't think unhelpful comments are what this site is about.

There's is alot of truth in that statement. Sometimes all you get done on one is chasing the next vacum leak to the next. Can be one of the hardest to track down. "Dont put to much money into that problem". But if you get Lucky WOOOT WOOOOT!

My 026PRO was doing something similar about ten minutes and it would stall at idle, but if I kept it revved up I could keep cutting. Forget restarting it until it cooled back off.

Ended up being a hairline crack in a fuel line nipple on the carb.

Actually the problem was getting worse ( 15 min, then, ten, then nine, etc.) so that was probably the crack getting bigger.

I might be a good idea to change the fuel line and filter.
The filters get dirty and the lines crack and get necked down and get constricted where the line enters the tank. Fairly common problem.

My Husky 36 would run OK for a bit then bog down and stall, new line and filter fixed it :lol:

Rob From Wisconsin said:
HittinSteel said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Overheating??

Okay just had similar symptoms with my 260. Changed the fuel line and filter. While I was doing that I cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. Runs like a top now. Like others have said start with a fuel line and filter. If that doesn't fix it, let us know. It's most likely a fuel delivery issue.

HittinSteel said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
HittinSteel said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Overheating??

Okay just had similar symptoms with my 260. Changed the fuel line and filter. While I was doing that I cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. Runs like a top now. Like others have said start with a fuel line and filter. If that doesn't fix it, let us know. It's most likely a fuel delivery issue.

"ultrasonic cleaner" I WANT ONE! Awesome deal there........................

Keep an eye on Harbor Freight flyers......they go on sale quite often. Great thing to have in the shop!

HittinSteel said:
Keep an eye on Harbor Freight flyers......they go on sale quite often. Great thing to have in the shop!

Yea I am watching them. Just Haven't pull the trigger yet. Hoping to find one at a rummage sale or auction barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.