Poulan Wild thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooserider said:
Archie said:
kingfisher said:
I'm thinking about getting a Poulan wild thing because I can't afford a Stihl at this time, Has anyone owned one and is it a decent saw for cutting firewood.

I own one and won't own another. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I know how to read and follow a manual. Used to be able to get mine started (not anymore), but could never keep it running when it was sitting idle for a few seconds or a minute while I positioned some wood for the next cut. Just a PITA - - pull pull pull in between every cut.

That is why the correct spelling of the brand is "Pull-on" - as in what you spend a lot of your time doing with it... :coolsmirk:

Gooserider

Yessir, agree.

No one has said it yet so...
Look for an older "real" saw. I'm sure you will still be happy with it, yard sales, pawn shops, etc.
Get more, you won't be upset.
Chad

HittinSteel said:
I bought a used one for $30 to give away as a gift. Pulled the muffler drilled the baffles and put some additional holes in the outside cover. Pulled the limiter tabs from the carb and retuned. Runs pretty well for what it is and sounds like a saw.

I wouldn't pay $150 for it new. Beg or borrow another $50 - $100 and buy a used stihl 029/290 in good running order.

wow that's the kind of advise i was looking for ^

without starting a new thread, i priced a pull-on PP4218AVX for $159
says "pro" hahahah
looks like 41cc motor
18" chain with 40% more cutting teeth ??
i have no idea what full chisel or any of that means - HELP

maybe someone can give me some advise about this "pro" model if it's worht $150

i guess i could look around for something used & guess just how used it is...

I personally do not own a Poulan, but I have a good friend that does.I sharpen his chains.He complained that it was hard to start and seemed to lack power. Anyway, he left the saw. I removed the limiter caps and enriched it on both low and high sides.Well I saw him last week and he was very happy with it. The EPA has set the adjustments so lean that if left unattended could burn up the saw.It is now a 2-3 start when cold and 1 when hot. A happy camper. Now all he has to do is pay me for the chain sharpening, Ken

I replied to this post earlier and changed my mind after using my buddies 455 Rancher. I had two large Oaks come down on my property and the thougtht of bucking them up with the Poulan made my hands hurt. Long story short I bought the Jonsored version of the 455 Rancher. Night and day. I can buck up a cord and my hands won't hurt at all compared to when I used the Poulan. It was a good little saw and cheap but hurt too much to use

EL DRIFTO said:
well i guess spending $100 i didn't intend to is the right answer

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/1440206846.html

If you purchased that saw and it is in good running order, great choice. Paying an extra $100 is nothing for the difference you will get. Just think if it lasts you 10 years (probably much more) that $100 works out to only $10 a year!

Ken said:
I personally do not own a Poulan, but I have a good friend that does.I sharpen his chains.He complained that it was hard to start and seemed to lack power. Anyway, he left the saw. I removed the limiter caps and enriched it on both low and high sides.Well I saw him last week and he was very happy with it. The EPA has set the adjustments so lean that if left unattended could burn up the saw.It is now a 2-3 start when cold and 1 when hot. A happy camper. Now all he has to do is pay me for the chain sharpening, Ken

I need to do this to mine any advice? I've got the woodshark with a stihl chain and it works pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.