Pour in place or S.S. Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 2, 2013
Massachusetts
I have a broken flue tile in the flue used for my wood stove. After looking at the web for answers about what to do to fix the problem, I like the pour in place system but, I have not been able to find anyone that has used this system. I have contacted different contractors but they could be bias and I was hoping to speak with someone who has had the pour in place installed and get some advice. The first question is the cost relative to putting a ss system in? Are there any drawbacks to installing a pour in place? Which system will last longer? Which system is better and safer?
Any help would be appreciated.

I would go with an Insulated SS liner, that is what pretty much all of us use. It should last 15-20+ years if taken care of properly and would not be nearly as much of a hassle to replace.

Most figures I have seen depending on height for a contractor to install are from $1500-$3000. If you DIY you can get that down to $1000-$1500, cant do that with a pour in place system.

Read some of the posts on here and soak up the knowledge, the more you read the more confident in doing the install yourself if you are handy.

A CSIA sweep knocked out my chimney tiles then installed a new insulated Ventinox 6" liner complete to stove for around $2600.00.. Ins. company paid all but $500.00 as the cracked tiles was caused by a chimney fire.. I used Duxbury chimney sweeps as they used the Ventinox S/S liner which I believe is the only welded seam liner made..

Ray

I would go with an Insulated SS liner, that is what pretty much all of us use. It should last 15-20+ years if taken care of properly and would not be nearly as much of a hassle to replace.

Most figures I have seen depending on height for a contractor to install are from $1500-$3000. If you DIY you can get that down to $1000-$1500, cant do that with a pour in place system.

Read some of the posts on here and soak up the knowledge, the more you read the more confident in doing the install yourself if you are handy.
Thanks for the info.

Start a private conversation with member Todd. He has had stainless liners and now one of his flues is poured in place. He can give you good observations about both.

Status
Not open for further replies.