Pour insulation material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acraiger

Feb 8, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Been reading the threads for a few days now to find the best option for insulating my chimney pipe. I installed a flex pipe about 2 years ago, but did not insulate the pipe. I get a lot of back draft. I have a Osburn 1600 insert. It was a pain to get in, so do not want to pull the pipe. The chimney is only about 10 feet, so I'm thinking a pour in method would be the easiest. The thing is I cannot find perlite, vermiculite, or thermix anywhere. I'm in the Denver, Colorado area, and have had no luck searching for any of these.

I best I could find is at Menards, in Wyoming, which is about 1 1/2 hours away.
Has anyone use this stuff at Menards?
vermiculite

It says it is for attics, so not sure this is right stuff.

If anyone knows of a place either online, or nearby colorado at a descent price, let me know thanks.

I'm not saying its not a good idea to add insulation, but if your chimney is only 10 feet tall then I would add a 3 foot extension. Most stoves like at least 15 feet.

Reactions: Tar12
I'm not saying its not a good idea to add insulation, but if your chimney is only 10 feet tall then I would add a 3 foot extension. Most stoves like at least 15 feet.
Ditto...

Been reading the threads for a few days now to find the best option for insulating my chimney pipe. I installed a flex pipe about 2 years ago, but did not insulate the pipe. I get a lot of back draft. I have a Osburn 1600 insert. It was a pain to get in, so do not want to pull the pipe. The chimney is only about 10 feet, so I'm thinking a pour in method would be the easiest. The thing is I cannot find perlite, vermiculite, or thermix anywhere. I'm in the Denver, Colorado area, and have had no luck searching for any of these.

I best I could find is at Menards, in Wyoming, which is about 1 1/2 hours away.
Has anyone use this stuff at Menards?
vermiculite

It says it is for attics, so not sure this is right stuff.

If anyone knows of a place either online, or nearby colorado at a descent price, let me know thanks.

Home Depot carries both vermiculite and perlite year round. Look with the indoor plant potting supplies.

Do a blockoff plate first so you don't pour the fireplace full....

Also as said above, also get some insulated flue pipe and extend your flue a bit. Even a couple feet would help.

I did do a block off plate when I installed the new stove, not sure how tight the seal is. So may try what others have mentioned doing the first feet mixed with portland cement which I actually have bucket of on hand. I checked Home Depot website, and best I could find was $17 for a 2cu/ft bag. perlite or vermiculite for $21. I'll have to check it out to see how big the bag actually is. I think this stuff is pretty light. Did not know about the pipe being higher, I think it might actually be closer to 12 feet, so if insulation does not do the trick.

Last edited:
I did do a block off plate when I installed the new stove, not sure how tight the seal is. So may try what others have mentioned doing the first feet mixed with portland cement which I actually have bucket of on hand. I checked Home Depot website, and best I could find was $17 for a 2cu/ft bag. perlite or vermiculite for $21. I'll have to check it out to see how big the bag actually is. I think this stuff is pretty light. Did not know about the pipe being higher, I think it might actually be closer to 12 feet, so if insulation does not do the trick.
Straight vermiculite or perlite won't meet code and will settle and compact over time leaving you with no insulation value at all. Not to mention it will constantly be filtering down. Pull the liner and insulate it properly

The Threewit Cooper Cement Company near Coors Field has all the Perlite you need. Mixing it 3-1 with straight Portland cement makes a serviceable Thermix. Personally, I find wrapping with the factory foil faced ceramic wool blanket and back stuffing with Roxul to be better and easier 95% of the time. Also, it meets the manufacturers specs, homemade Thermix does not. Only 10 ft of chimney? You need a transition plate and an insulated flue extension. 15 ft is minimum at sea level. You want more height at altitude.

I actually just found Threewit, they are a resaler for Persolite, which I think is made in Florence, Colorado. I will have to give them a call to check their prices, Thanks. Anyways I probably can't do anything until summer, but maybe can add an extender now. I found 1 1/2 foot extender that would be very easy to add now. extender https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-flue-extender.php
My biggest worry of adding too much extension, is a big wind knocking it down.

I actually just found Threewit, they are a resaler for Persolite, which I think is made in Florence, Colorado. I will have to give them a call to check their prices, Thanks. Anyways I probably can't do anything until summer, but maybe can add an extender now. I found 1 1/2 foot extender that would be very easy to add now. extender https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-flue-extender.php
My biggest worry of adding too much extension, is a big wind knocking it down.
That is just an uninsulated peice of pipe not a proper extension at all. You want to get a proper anchor transition plate and a section of class a chimney pipe. Do not just use straight perlite. Get the proper product for the job. Do you even have enough room to use pour in insulation properly?