Powder to clean chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
Last year when I had the chimney cleaned, the guy sold me a container of powder to spray up the chimney while the fire is going. Well my wife threw away the container, anyone know of a similar product to recommend? I m not looking to replace getting it cleaned regularly. Just something to touch it up. This was a powder that would dry up the creasode (sp?)
Thank you

Welcome to the forum Chris. I hope this does not sound wrong, but you should be much more concerned with the wood you are burning. If you burn good dry wood you should not get creosote so no powder is needed. Personally, I've never used anything in the chimney except a good wire brush. I cleaned out chimney a year ago last June and got a cup of soot; no creosote. That is because we burn only good dry wood. Well, the good stove helps a lot too.

Welcome to the forum Chris. I hope this does not sound wrong, but you should be much more concerned with the wood you are burning. If you burn good dry wood you should not get creosote so no powder is needed. Personally, I’ve never used anything in the chimney except a good wire brush. I cleaned out chimney a year ago last June and got a cup of soot; no creosote. That is because we burn only good dry wood. Well, the good stove helps a lot too.

+1 Dennis is the authority here, he is the man in the know.

KC

We had a product we used called Cre-Away from ChimneySaver. This helps in the removal of glazed creosote. This was our situation prior to getting the wood insert because of the condition of our existing flue. Previous owners did not clean the chimney on a regular basis and the sweep we used suggested this as a means to assist him in getting rid of the glazing. Good wood and regular cleaning prevents the need for something like this; getting to the stage of having glazed creosote is pretty serious; the product did work very well; of course once we got the flue nice and clean we then put a full SS liner down it! LOL.

The powder is (most Likely) TSP.....tri sodium phosphate. if it is not straight TSP....TSP is the active ingredient. TSP can be bought by the pound at Home Depot for around 3.00/lb You can make a solution and apply it tp the flue via a garden sprayer or sprinkle the powder on hot coals and let it cook away.

I keep either Cre-Away or ACS powder on my truck and have used it successfully on very stubborn cases. The best thing is to burn properly dried wood and not smolder your fire.

Big Chris said:
Last year when I had the chimney cleaned, the guy sold me a container of powder to spray up the chimney while the fire is going. Well my wife threw away the container, anyone know of a similar product to recommend? I m not looking to replace getting it cleaned regularly. Just something to touch it up. This was a powder that would dry up the creasode (sp?)
Thank you

I used this last year (our first year burning wood) cleaned the chimney at the end of December and it seemed to work.

http://www.chimneysaver.com/anti_creo_soot.html

zap

mtarbert said:
The powder is (most Likely) TSP.....tri sodium phosphate. if it is not straight TSP....TSP is the active ingredient. TSP can be bought by the pound at Home Depot for around 3.00/lb You can make a solution and apply it tp the flue via a garden sprayer or sprinkle the powder on hot coals and let it cook away.
Yep. I got some Rutland Kwik-Shot on clearance at Walmart last spring. It has TSP and copper sulfate in it. "Makes blue and green flames while it cleans your chimney". You just throw a little pre- measured canister in a hot fire and off she goes. "Does not eliminate the need for regular chimney cleaning, but makes the cleaning easier".

1. Burn dry, seasoned wood.
2. Burn at the proper temps.
3. Inspect and clean your chimney on a regular basis.
4. Save the money you would spend on fancy schmancy chemicals to buy other important things.

I like the MythBusters approach... Black Powder!

2009-11-02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.