Power back-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
DO not know the brand,but specs look more than safe for stove(or pc so you can tell us when power out!:)) group 24 battery is a smaller size,but if price is right,just get more.But looks like the inverter does not have a built in charger?

DO not know the brand,but specs look more than safe for stove(or pc so you can tell us when power out!:)) group 24 battery is a smaller size,but if price is right,just get more.But looks like the inverter does not have a built in charger?
Hum...you bring up a good point...thank you so much and I will make sure to ask.

Cheers

Hum...you bring up a good point...thank you so much and I will make sure to ask.

Cheers

I use a 1200W APC with a pair of 90AH marine batteries wired in to give me 8 hours of stove runtime in a power failure.

I use a 1200W APC with a pair of 90AH marine batteries wired in to give me 8 hours of stove runtime in a power failure.
Is this an APC as in a computer ups? it can charge big batteries like that?

Yes it can, it can take several days to do so depending on how depleted the batteries are. I have a proper marine battery charger that I will use if the batteries have been used up a significant amount.

Yes it can, it can take several days to do so depending on how depleted the batteries are. I have a proper marine battery charger that I will use if the batteries have been used up a significant amount.
Good to know, I have a Pro 1500 on it now, just need to rig up a battery.

I have a proper marine battery charger that I will use if the batteries have been used up a significant amount.

How do you decide if the APC is likely to burn itself up before you let it recharge the big battery?

- Jeff

Well I just tested my APC Pro 1500 by yanking the plug, stove goes into auto shutdown mode by pulsating the fan, I'm happy with that:cool: Thank You Harman for making it this simple.

How do you decide if the APC is likely to burn itself up before you let it recharge the big battery?

- Jeff

I've tested it multiple times by running the batteries down and letting the APC charge it up with no problem.

The marine charger is just a way to get the batteries back to capacity alot quicker.

I've tested it multiple times by running the batteries down and letting the APC charge it up with no problem.

Good to know, thanks. I've been back/forth on an APC or Tripp-Lite, finding the APC with slightly better efficiency but significantly more expensive replacement batteries. If that charging circuit is good enough to not torch itself charging your big batteries, that makes a difference on using a different battery when the original croaks.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.