Power failure last night, those in the NE how did your stove do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lagger

Feeling the Heat
Apr 2, 2014
Bloomingburg NY
power was out for several hours last night due to the nor'easter on the east coast, first outage for me with new stove. I don't have a back up gen or ups yet so I watched the fire slowly die, my Lopi AGP has about a 15' 3" pipe to vent through the existing zero clearance FP, apparently, there is enough draft that there was no smoke in the house or even in the fire box. One less worry

still.. I need to get a genny and possibly an inverter or ups for the future

I'm near the harford area and no power outages.also this storm was a joke.got maybe 3 inches lol

I'm near the harford area and no power outages.also this storm was a joke.got maybe 3 inches lol
lucky you I got over a foot and as of this moment it's snowing again :(

lucky you I got over a foot and as of this moment it's snowing again :(
I wanted the snow.my snowshoes were begging to do a hike.looks like will have to be patent .you must be in the litchfield area.hope all is safe.

no, I'm in the foothills of the Catskills in NY on top of the Shawangunk Ridge to be exact.. we always get weather more severe than the flatlanders

I woke up to find the clocks blinking. I have no idea when or how long the power was out. The stove never skipped a beat.

power was out for several hours last night due to the nor'easter on the east coast, first outage for me with new stove. I don't have a back up gen or ups yet so I watched the fire slowly die, my Lopi AGP has about a 15' 3" pipe to vent through the existing zero clearance FP, apparently, there is enough draft that there was no smoke in the house or even in the fire box. One less worry

I just got the interlock kit for our electric panel. Now I can turn on or off whatever!
Just plug in a 50 amp breaker and slide the plate up when power is lost then plug in the genny outside the garage door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 433
I just got the interlock kit for our electric panel. Now I can turn on or off whatever!
Just plug in a 50 amp breaker and slide the plate up when power is lost then plug in the genny outside the garage door.
nice setup.. I am considering using the back feed method through the dryer outlet, I am well aware of the possible dangers, but my house is modern (2003 build) and I know enough to turn off the main breaker to avoid energizing the neighborhood or the the power line (don't want to zap the utilty crews who have it hard enough during these outages).. would prefer a Tx box etc but that adds about 500 dollars to the deal

When the power was out a week 3 yr's ago, I backfed thru my porch outlet and half my house was working, Fridge, Big screen TV and Pellet stove using a 3500 watt generator.

I have an interlock like you Don2222, makes life so much easier.
You can get them from HomeDepot or ebay from about $45 depending on your panel.
No more half the house being powered up and much safer.
Your choice at the end of the day..

How do these distribute power to both sides of the panel. It just looks like a metal slider to keep you from turning on the main while the gen breaker is on. ???

In Don222's first picture, the 2 circuit breakers top right go to his outlet box outside his garage.
The only way to turn these 2 breakers on (without bending or breaking something) is to turn off the main circuit breaker in the middle, off and move the slider.
I am not sure if Don has a 220v genie but mine are only 120v so I can only power up the 120v circuits.
In my case, the feeds to both circuit breakers are connected together so I can power up all the 120v breakers in my panel.

I'm in Chester and no power outages here. Must have been just in that specific area. Was up cooking until 4 and my Lopi AGP insert never stopped.

Reactions: lagger
In Don222's first picture, the 2 circuit breakers top right go to his outlet box outside his garage.
The only way to turn these 2 breakers on (without bending or breaking something) is to turn off the main circuit breaker in the middle, off and move the slider.
I am not sure if Don has a 220v genie but mine are only 120v so I can only power up the 120v circuits.
In my case, the feeds to both circuit breakers are connected together so I can power up all the 120v breakers in my panel.

So you feed two breakers, one attached to each side of the panel off of one generator putting out 120v,

So you feed two breakers, one attached to each side of the panel off of one generator putting out 120v,
Correct.. "So you feed two breakers, one attached to each side of the panel"
Nope, "off of one generator putting out 120v," I have 2 Honda EU2000i's, one is a companion and they interconnect for a higher output, but still only 120v.

I have a pair of Honda 2000I's also, I have just back fed them through two outlets that I know to be on separate sides of the panel. I should clean up my arrangement like shown in the pictures, and add an interconnect. What type of plugs do the generators plug into on the panel infeeds. I obviously am just using male/male 110v cords and plugs I made up to back feed but would like a more proper set up my wife and daughter could be safe setting up if I were away.

No power here since 2:30 yesterday afternoon.
Plugged in our 8500 watt generator and the whole house has been running fine since.
Turkeys cooking, and I'm drooling from the scent.
I do set my P43 on manual while using the generator.
Tree came down and snapped the top of a pole off. Didn't break the phone lines, but blew the fuses on the electric.
We live on the back side of a mountain, only about 15 houses on the road, so we're not the power company's highest priority today.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I run a 5500w generator through a transfer switch. Up is line voltage , down is Gen. I can do six circuits but is only because we needed the generator in quickly and the six circuit box is all that was available locally quickly. I keep threatening to put in a ten circuit box but haven't gotten to that yet. Anyway, it's very easy to wire and it's legal.

I have a pair of Honda 2000I's also, I have just back fed them through two outlets that I know to be on separate sides of the panel. I should clean up my arrangement like shown in the pictures, and add an interconnect. What type of plugs do the generators plug into on the panel infeeds. I obviously am just using male/male 110v cords and plugs I made up to back feed but would like a more proper set up my wife and daughter could be safe setting up if I were away.
Nice.. Not sure if you have a companion EU2000 but that one has a cable that connects the 2 inverter/generators so they act as one big generator. The companion has a 30A outlet on it so I have a cable that connects to this box, http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=53004 at the back of my house.
If you have 2 normal 2000I's then you will need to have 2 15A boxes, one for each generator feeding to each breaker or 2 of the 30A boxes.
Also it looks like you can get a parallel kit so you get the combined power from your 2 generators.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability
The advantage of a combined 30A is you don't have to worry about one side of your panel having to supply more power than the other.
Also more chance they will both go into eco mode to save fuel and quieter.

I have a 7500 watt generator, with a 6-10 transfer switch. Did a test run a few weeks ago and had the furnace, well pump, sump pump, stove, fridge and pellet stove all running. Bedroom lights and fans. Couldn't get over 13% usage on the generator display. And the watt meter on the switch was barely moving. Thinking I should have gotten 10-16 switch installed in hindsight. Not sure if I can have that interlock switch too instead of changing to a new transfer switch h?

I have a 7500 watt generator, with a 6-10 transfer switch. Did a test run a few weeks ago and had the furnace, well pump, sump pump, stove, fridge and pellet stove all running. Bedroom lights and fans. Couldn't get over 13% usage on the generator display. And the watt meter on the switch was barely moving. Thinking I should have gotten 10-16 switch installed in hindsight. Not sure if I can have that interlock switch too instead of changing to a new transfer switch h?
That is one advantage in going to an interlock instead of a transfer switch. You can power up all circuits in your panel + sub panel if your generator has the oomph.. My interlock has been inspected by the town and legal, not sure about all states. On my panel it lists the interlock kit that is approved and tested for my panel on the label, that is the one I am using.

Yeah really it's just the upsurge of certain components powering on that gives the meters any spike at all. Except a microwave that will make the gen give a good kick out there when the power cycle kicks on. We had my 90 yo father in law in the apartment next door and that is heated off our main boiler and that's why we got the generator in the first place. We light our kitchen and dining room, the downstairs bathroom including power outlets. We run the oil heat, hot water ( which is gas), two refrigerators and a freezer. We light the tenants living room kitchen area including work station area. All that barely moves the needles except as I said as something powers on. The most I've seen it jump is 50% on an upsurge. So 5500 W can power up a bunch of stuff with today's lower power use motors and so on! And everything doesn't come on at once. I've had all circuits pulling and it might get up to one bar on the scale.

I'm feeding 220 in , that splits to the six 110 circuits, could run way more. But then again this way it sips gas, we have heat and hot water and nothing thaws out if the power is out for days.. And we have several lights and a happy tenant.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrtmatos
My 450' deep well pump kicks a generator's butt when it starts up.
Yes well pumps have really high start up surges. I know a guy that also had to go with a 7500 w unit in his small house just because of the well pump. I have town water so no pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.