Power failure last night, those in the NE how did your stove do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same with my well pump. but not bad. The water table is so high my house floats lol! My sump pump has been running frequently the past 2 days though.
Attached to my primary pump is an emergency back up pump and the system has a battery back up that will run 7 hours continuous. Which of course would give me time to get home and fire up the generator.

I thought the same with my well pump. but not bad. The water table is so high my house floats lol! My sump pump has been running frequently the past 2 days though.
Attached to my primary pump is an emergency back up pump and the system has a battery back up that will run 7 hours continuous. Which of course would give me time to get home and fire up the generator.
We had a sump pump when I was a kid. That basement would get a foot of water in it without the sump pump. Then one day they dug the street up to put in either gas lines or something and the basement was dry from then on out. So after that we had model trains down there. Silly to think of doing that before.

Geez I wish. That was a huge deterrent when looking to buy this home. I figured I Had useless basement. The previous owner had both well and sump plugged into extention cord running off the ceramic light outlets. As a condition I had them bring put it it up to code on their own circuits and GFI. Mind you the house was unoccupied for 5 years. So the time between work done and closing The old pump tripped the gfi and you guessed it water. A month after living there water again. I was so feeling bad because of our purchase. So I spent roughly $1000 on new pump and plumbing and not a problem since

Geez I wish. That was a huge deterrent when looking to buy this home. I figured I Had useless basement. The previous owner had both well and sump plugged into extention cord running off the ceramic light outlets. As a condition I had them bring put it it up to code on their own circuits and GFI. Mind you the house was unoccupied for 5 years. So the time between work done and closing The old pump tripped the gfi and you guessed it water. A month after living there water again. I was so feeling bad because of our purchase. So I spent roughly $1000 on new pump and plumbing and not a problem since

Take out the gfci outlet for the sump pump and put a single outlet in there.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Take out the gfci outlet for the sump pump and put a single outlet in there.

I thought about it with the old pump. But I figured safer to be up to code. The new pump has been spot on and no issues since

There is a specific exception in the code for sump pumps for that reason. Older appliances could not be GFI protected because of a small amount of 'current leakage' doesn't seem to be a problem with never appliances but i am still old school, i will not GFI a fridge or sump pump or chest freezer.

nice setup.. I am considering using the back feed method through the dryer outlet, I am well aware of the possible dangers, but my house is modern (2003 build) and I know enough to turn off the main breaker to avoid energizing the neighborhood or the the power line (don't want to zap the utilty crews who have it hard enough during these outages).. would prefer a Tx box etc but that adds about 500 dollars to the deal
I back feed as well, I made my own lockout, its 1417131799124.jpg not pretty but works 100 percent.

Reactions: Arti
I arrived home from work yesterday to a power outage that lasted 30 hours. I ran my 7500W generator with no issues. The stove smoldered long enough to coat the inside of the stove with gunk. The draft in masonry chimney may have helped the smoldering but vented everything up and out. I wonder if I may have an air leak that contributed to the smoldering.

I just got the interlock kit for our electric panel. Now I can turn on or off whatever!
Just plug in a 50 amp breaker and slide the plate up when power is lost then plug in the genny outside the garage door.
Had one for about four years. Love it. Much better than a typical transfer switch if you just manage your loads a bit, as you have access to your whole house.

Those of you not isolating your house from the grid during a power outage (one or two clearly are not, based on comments): You could easily kill a lineman trying to restore your power! Spend a few bucks and do it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: seige101 and JTRock
I back feed as well, I made my own lockout, its not pretty but works 100 percent.

Very Cool ! ! !

It slides left so you cannot even turn the Dryer ON when using the genny accidently !!! That is too cool! :)

Mine Only Slides up & down!
Click pic to enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I got a large plug on the side of my house that back feeds through a breaker on my main electrical panel. Over the holidays, I use it to power my Christmas lights.

I done a little research on the Hondas before I bought them and decided to get the std. version for both, you can make a simple "Y" between them with a 30 amp female plug in the middle and it just plugs into the 15A males on the gens. Then go from there with an RV cord to the house and split into the two breakers. I need to do the house side of where we are living now since we moved a while back and I have been having trouble finding my round tuit. Works good for me in the past cause I use it for powering my 30A camper's air conditioning unit with this "Y" and we sleep out there if a summer outage or dry camping since the 2 , 2000I's wont run the big 4 ton house unit. I think I will buy the interlock for my breaker panel since it is reasonable priced, and add the breakers and 30A plug over the holidays. It's a better setup for several reasons... We just bought another home out in the country for a weekend retreat and maybe a place to build our final stopping place in the future I guess, ironically it has a 12.5 standby system on propane. Anxious to just go there when the power goes out !!

I back feed as well, I made my own lockout, itsView attachment 145974 not pretty but works 100 percent.
I don't know about where anyone else lives but back feeding a gen here is illegal, period, cut and dry... And so if the weirdest of weird things for what ever reason happened you have no leg to stand on in a claim and could even be fined. I didn't feel it was worth that risk compared with house replacement cost. I felt the insurance company doesn't care if a lot of other people do it anyway.

When the power was out a week 3 yr's ago, I backfed thru my porch outlet and half my house was working, Fridge, Big screen TV and Pellet stove using a 3500 watt generator.

When our power was down for THREE weeks after Sandy, I ran my little 2400 Watt gen for all 3 weeks and backfed the power through an appliance circuit in the garage. Not the best setup, but with care it works fine. Wasn't winter so no need to run the pellet stove, but by rotating the load we had fridge working fine, lights, and surprisingly enough, Internet/TV. For some reason that cable was not disrupted out on the pole. We have natural gas for cooking, and of course charcoal for the grill, so we got by just fine.

My dream is a natural gas fired genny with automatic cut in. Maybe after the twins graduate college!

Anyone ever hear of it use a Generlink? About $850 installed by me with a surge protector. Makes the install very clean from what I can tell/see. I have a 5500 Generac sitting the garage. I really need to hook it into my house.

Here is a link:
http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

That genlink would not work for us. Our meter is on the north side of the house that gets burried in snow. Our genny outlet was installed right outside the garage door so we can put the genny on our shoveled driveway .

13" of the white stuff, very heavy and my snowblower struggled to throw it (clogged the chute a few times). Fortunately never lost power - just a few power flickers that didn't affect the stoves. I should dig my little generator out of the shed and figure out how to use it (bought it new last spring and never even opened the box). Not enough to power whole house, but should be okay for stove. Probably needs a break-in run before use too.

13" of the white stuff, very heavy and my snowblower struggled to throw it (clogged the chute a few times). Fortunately never lost power - just a few power flickers that didn't affect the stoves. I should dig my little generator out of the shed and figure out how to use it (bought it new last spring and never even opened the box). Not enough to power whole house, but should be okay for stove. Probably needs a break-in run before use too.
Usually about 10 hours of run time and then change the oil. Good to go. I ran mine in two hour stints till it got up to ten hours. Also that is with various loads as suggested in the manual. So it's not just running but to a load as well.

Last edited:
When our power was down for THREE weeks after Sandy, I ran my little 2400 Watt gen for all 3 weeks and backfed the power through an appliance circuit in the garage. Not the best setup, but with care it works fine. Wasn't winter so no need to run the pellet stove, but by rotating the load we had fridge working fine, lights, and surprisingly enough, Internet/TV. For some reason that cable was not disrupted out on the pole. We have natural gas for cooking, and of course charcoal for the grill, so we got by just fine.

My dream is a natural gas fired genny with automatic cut in. Maybe after the twins graduate college!
A standby generator can be bought for as little as $2000 with a 50-amp 10-switch box. A wholehouse model with a 200-amp transfer box can be bought for $2600.

I was watching the CNBC traders talking about Generac on Wednesday and they were under the impression a standby generator cost $10s of thousands! My 12k GE wholehouse 200-amp setup cost $3800, including delivery, gas and electrical hookups.

Lost power at 5pm on Wednesday (it's still out). It's supposed to get down to 10 degrees tonight! But, thanks to a 4kw generator, the pellet stove is keeping us at about 71. Bonus: while the power is still out, cable/internet just came back!

We were out for about 40 hours. Glad I had my pellet stove. We cant run our heat pump with our generator so it was pellet stove all the way. Had to refuel about every 6 hours but it did the job. I did run out of gas once while it was windy out and got a puff of smoke back in the house. Only let that happen once. I run a champion inverter that is tied into a 120v transfer switch I usually just turn on two circuits a upstairs and downstairs one. I power up my larger generator when I need water did that once yesterday.

The Honda's say they can run up to 9.6hrs on a gallon tank. I bought an extended run gas tank which connects to both generators. Works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.