Power Failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

5 AM this morning I head to the GW to see if we made the night and to re-load. On the way I go through the biggest zone in the house and think, "Hmmm, feels cold . . " But I hear the circulator turning so I forget about it. I get to the GW, the dampers closed, the water is about 200. I open the door and there is no need to add wood yet.

Back inside I check the stat for the zone that feels cold and it says "Lo". Swap in new batteries and I find that the zone that is set at 67 is actually 63 degrees. One bad thing about radiant, it took about 3 hours to make up the heat lost to two dead AA batteries. Change um when ya change the smoke deterctor ones I guess.

At least you have a good system that doesn't go into some strange failure mode because of those dead batteries. That would be bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.