Power outage and smoke in the room ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
We had a bit of a windy day today and there were several outages around the local area.
We had just got dinner going and I had built a fire in the Advantage when the power went off, Pooooof
With both stoves running at a good clip I was worried a tad about a smokey eavening, as both the Whitfields are direct vented.

We had a power outage back shortly after I installed the Prodigy and it was fine, but the Advantage has a 4 foot horizontal run. From the stove 2 feet, then a 45 elbo then 2 feet to the droop cap outside.

Power was off about an hour while the crew repaired a downed wire about a half mile away.

Not one bit of smoke in the house, not even a hint of smoke.

When the power came back on, I restarted the two stoves in a couple minutes and all is well.

I was to say the least very suprised that the Advantage did not smoke into the house.

This is a good thing. :)

OH BTW It was snowing here today again. Not sticking but it was snowing. AAAAARRRRRRGGG

Really giving the new (to us) Whitfield a great check ride for sure.

Snowy

Snowy,

Glad your stoves did not smoke up your house.

Re: " . .. . . .a great check ride for sure." Are you or were you a pilot? Just wondering.

Ranger

Yup, I pile it here and pile it there. :cheese:

Yesssss the term "Check ride"

I was actively seeking my private pilots license back in the late 70's.

Spent quite a few hours in a Piper Cherokee 140

I discovered after about 3 months into flying that I had an issue with vertigo.
Was fine landing, but would bug tha crap out of me just as I would lift off and start to climb.

If I could see the ground pulling away out of my left eye it would often trigger it.

I covered for it by looking slightly to the right or at the instruments for a second or two until I had gained some altitude then all was fine.

The old boy that was my flight instructor caught my little manuever one day and asked if there was an issue.

I told him about the problem. Flight surgeon saw nothing wrong and cleared me medically BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
The right thing to do was NOT become a pilot and NOT jepardise other people and an aircraft.

I do fly with friends every so often and will get some right seat time.

Just let someone else get the plane in the air and then I am quite capable of keeping it there and getting us where we are going.

Was strange that landing was never an issue. The ground coming up was just fine, could bring the craft in and touch the runway smooth as silk but the lift off was a Bugger.

Sadly it was not a 100% thing. Many times it was fine. Just not a good idea to flirt with disaster though.

Originally my thoughts were to go commercial.

Had a few hair raising times.

Headed out one summer morning with my instructor (was a Sunday) and we were going to fly over the Cascade Mt's and land in a little town of "SISTERS" Oregon.

Was a little strip out away from town with nothing but an asphalt runway.

We headed out about 7am and flew over and landed. Walked into town (mile or so) to have a burger and a coke.

We head back and get over the mountains and the weather turned reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal ugly

Afternoon T storms started popping up all over.

We ended up flying down a canyon following a main highway to keep out of the nasty up and down drafts.

By the time we got over the mountains and could see what was happening there was no turning back as we could not have made it to a spot to refuel.

(Sadly the weather forcast we got mentioned nothing about T storms)

The fellow who was my instructor was a Crop duster when not teaching others. Guy was far too balsy for my likeing. Damn, downright crazy, Oh well too long ago now.

Got the snot bounced out of us for sure in that tiny plane.

Had about 20 minutes of bumpy ride then we were far enough away from the Heavy buildups to get some altitude again.

The rest of the trip was pretty smooth.

Had one other time that we flew into a Dude Ranch over in the coastal mountains. Was hot, maybe 90F.

Landed fine and had a coke and a burger (Our favorite thing to do) went to leave about 5 PM

Haaaaaaaaaa could not get enough lift in that light air to save out butttts.

Had to hang out until about 9pm until the air got a little more dense.

That strip was a tricky one with a fence at the end. Was a grass strip and not all that smooth either.

Was not all that long after that trip that I decided to hang it up.

I moved on to other things as it was obvious that a career in aviation was not in the cards

Today I am a commercial truck driver (Owner operator) run a heavy haul dump truck and trailer (transfer) been doing that since 91

Getting bored with it too after all the years and miles. (About 2 mil now)

Now I PILE Rock Yup a Pile it.

If ya like cool old Planes, the Hughes "Spruce Goose" is only 15 miles from here. Been in that fine old bird a few times and actually got to sit in the pilots seat.

Very strange feeling to sit in the command chair of that plane for sure.
The meuseum has some very cool stuff for sure. They have a lovely B17 and even have an SR71.

Snowy

Snowy- You woke up memories with the mention of SR71 in the meuseum. I was stationed in at Beale AFB and developed recon film from it. That seems like yesterday thinking about it but a lot of water under the bridge since then.
Thanks for reminding me of memories.
Ron

Oh yess, we have all seen a lot of water pass under the bridge.

Seems like just yesterday that I was thinking about a career in Flying.

The SR71 is sure an interesting aircraft for sure.

The museum has the Goose as the center piece (Fill the whole bloody building)
The SR71 is sitting under one wing of the big Hughes plane and looks so tiny sitting there.

Out front they have a 747 thats eventually going to end up on top of the latest building that is going up now.

The 747 looks small compared to the Goose.

From what I have heard, the museum is supposed to get one of the remaining space shuttles when they are retired.

Very very interesting stuff for sure.

I am glad to see the Hughes flying boat preserved intact. At one time there was talk of cutting it up and having small pieces of it at several museums around the country.

Its hard to really imagine the scope of that plane until you are up close and personal.

To have actually been on the flight deck and sat in the pilots seat was a real treat.

To get on the flight deck now is a special arrangement and costs $$$.

To much stuff up there to get damaged so they keep it closed off.

There is a viewing platform amidships that is accessable by the public and you can see the flight deck farther forward but its behind glass doors.

Bringing that plane up here from Longbeach was a real task for sure.

We watched them tow the fueselage from a landing point on a local river on up to the museum property.

Ahhh yess interesting stuff.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.