Power Outage? No Problem!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a "scheduled" power outage last night in my area for about 2 hours (why they do that at -30C is a mystery) but either way I was toasty warm.

Just a good reminder why it's worth all the cutting, splitting, pileing, drying, waiting, sweeping, shovelling, cleaning, stoaking, tending.

In fact my insert (Regency I2400) actually started getting too hot because the fan wasn't running, I had the air all the way down, temps above the door handle were okay, about 700-750, but the stove top hit 900 so I had to open the door and let er pull some heat out.

There was a "scheduled" power outage last night in my area for about 2 hours (why they do that at -30C is a mystery) but either way I was toasty warm.

Just a good reminder why it's worth all the cutting, splitting, pileing, drying, waiting, sweeping, shovelling, cleaning, stoaking, tending.

In fact my insert (Regency I2400) actually started getting too hot because the fan wasn't running, I had the air all the way down, temps above the door handle were okay, about 700-750, but the stove top hit 900 so I had to open the door and let er pull some heat out.
That seems like a jack ass of a time to cut the power,,I can only imagine if the power coming on causes a surge on any electronic controllers on some elderly folks furnaces and now they have no heat..odd they would do something like that at such low temps,,,you know there has to be a big power demand when it's that cold out....Sounds like you might consider a small generator for your stove fan for any extended power outages.....

....Sounds like you might consider a small generator for your stove fan for any extended power outages.....

Ya they must of had something go VERY wrong for them to cut it when it's that cold.

Actually ya I'm looking at getting a decent generator for my fridge, freezer etc. I'll make sure to have the insert fan on it as well. Right now I have a large UPS in the basement keeping my network and servers up, I wonder how it would do with the draw from that fan on it...

Time for an experiment! :)

I'd imagine anything besides a small PC fan would kill the UPS pretty fast. My Regency HI300 lists the blower as an "option", so I imagine running as just a stove would be fine if you don't overfire. I've wondered the same thing myself, so when you stop sharing your damn cold Canadian air with me down here, I'll let her run without the blower for a while to see if it would be worthwhile using without the blower, or do I have to drag out the generator.

What's crazy is I just had some small splits in there, let it get up to about 600 then turned down the air, it just kept climbing and climbing though without the fan. Like I said I have 2 temps though, one on the front by the handle and one on the stove top. Maybe the stove top is okay at that temp... don't know?

When you opened up the door of the stove, how quickly did the temps start to drop? I was always under the impression that the best thing to do was to cut the air down to low/off and wait it out (and turn on the fan if you have one). I'm fairly new to the non-smokedragon stove world, so I am probably off on this.

When you opened up the door of the stove, how quickly did the temps start to drop? I was always under the impression that the best thing to do was to cut the air down to low/off and wait it out (and turn on the fan if you have one). I'm fairly new to the non-smokedragon stove world, so I am probably off on this.

It might be true, I would have cut the air down but I was already fully closed, I've read that with the door open you're loosing heat so it was the only option I had left, after about 10-15 minutes the stove top was back down to 700.

Maybe time to invest in one of those heat power fan rigs that sit on top. I won't get the full heat outta it because of the cover tim piece thing but it might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.