Power outages everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a lineman for NU, my husband worked in Canada to restore power after the January 1998 ice storm. He's out working now, restoring power in here in Western Mass; Blandford and surrounding areas. We won't see him until probably Monday ( he's been gone since 4:30 am Friday). He says it is UNBELIEVABLE; the scale of damage in that area is very severe. He's seen plenty of storm damage in his career, having worked Wilma in Florida and the afore mentioned Canada where ice coated the transmission lines weighing them down until the towers buckled and broke in half. His reports regarding damage sustained from this storm are as extreme as I've ever heard from him. They haven't even gotten to the side streets yet. They just got the main roads on today. I believe it may be 4-5 days before electricity is restored in full here in Massachusetts. NH is in a worse state than Ma. Just hope those people find shelter, warmth and food. It's mighty cold outside right now. Those guys are working their butts off to get everyone back on.

We just had friends over that live in that area...they came for dinner and a shower. They've gone back to tend the fireplace to keep the house above 50deg.
They said it's like going to the moon. Like a winter tornado just came through and leveled everything...

Jim

I'm from Northern Dutchess County in NY and I just got my power back today around 2:30pm. My pellet stove ran from 11pm on Thursday night until about 8pm today (Saturday) on my gas generator. Kept my house nice and warm. Thank god for that generator and pellet stove!

ylomnstr said:
I'm from Northern Dutchess County in NY and I just got my power back today around 2:30pm. My pellet stove ran from 11pm on Thursday night until about 8pm today (Saturday) on my gas generator. Kept my house nice and warm. Thank god for that generator and pellet stove!

Glad you "weathered the storm", and that you got your power back finally. My lights flickered about 5 times Thurs. night here near Newburgh, but amazingly enough, never went out.

Lobstah said:
We just had friends over that live in that area...they came for dinner and a shower. They've gone back to tend the fireplace to keep the house above 50deg.
They said it's like going to the moon. Like a winter tornado just came through and leveled everything...

Jim

Lobstah, I admire you for helping your friends by providing a meal and a place to shower. You might not know the new lease you gave them to get through this, but know that it's worth more than gold right now. Shelters are great, but good friends are the best.

ggww said:
Dunstabe. MA is in the same boat and I didn't see too many lights going south in rt3 and north 495 to 93. The radio
said this is one of the worst and it may take days to restore power to 95,000 of us (I think that was in MA alone).
What are you using for a generator? I may pick one up since I work in Quincy and I doubt there will be a run
on generators here.

Guy
Harman Insert

If you buy a generator, get one that has positive oil pressure pump and the screw on automotive oil filter. The automatic throttle down feature is very nice too. Auto throttle means that if you do not pull an electric load, the generator will drop down to idle instead of running at 3600 rpm constantly. The automatic engine off on low oil switch will save your engine when you forget to check the oil every time you refill the generator.

REMEMBER THAT THE CHEAPER GENERATORS ARE DESIGNED FOR INTERMITANT DUTY ONLY.

THEY WILL NOT WITHSTAND 24/7 OPPERATION, BUT INSTEAD WILL THROW A ROD AFTER 2 OR 3 WEEKS.

If you want your engine to last, only run it for 3 hours with a 30 minute cool down.

5w30 dinosaur oil should be used below 30 deg and down to 10 deg outside temp when you do a cold start up of your generator.

10w 30 is used from 45 deg to 10 deg but is too thick to lubricate below 10 deg

sae 30 is used from 99 deg to 45 deg

SAE 5W30 SINTHETIC IS USED TO MINUS 50 deg

I recommend against buying a gen that uses a splash oiling system. the 3.5 to 7 hp B&S;or tecompsha cheap lawn mower engines, These engines are light duty intermitant service only
& were throwing rods right & left back in the power outage of 98 after only 2 or 3 weeks of continious duty. of couse, the engines were abused & miss used by owners trying to opperate them continiously, 24/7 when the engines were only designed for a 2 or 3 hour run time & then 30 min. cool off period. And the owners forget to check the oil with every tank of gas.

Checking the oil with every tank of gas is very important because these engines use more oil faster than you think. remember, a lawn mower runs for a hour or a hour & a half, but not for
3 or 4 hours continious, yet these are lawn mower engines. and they usually are down on oil after only 2 hr run time.

a 4000 watt generator will allow you to run 3 or 4 appliances as well as a few lights but you must check the current or wattage ratings of the appliances and add up they amounts & this must be less than the rating of the generator.

a 1000 watt gen will only let you run 1 applaince and maybe/ maybe not , a light bulb as well.

appliances should be hooked direct to the generator with extension cords unelse a generator
disconnect switch is used to prevent the generator from back feeding electricity into the power lines on the street. We dont want to electrocute line men who think that the power lines are dead because you hooked a generator into the circuit breaker box without a power line back feed cut off switch.

the transformer on the street pole steps up the 120 volts from your generator to 3000 to 5000 volts on the downed power lines, so use and extension cord hooked direct to the generator and dont wire into the house fuse box without a feed back disconnect switch.

Deffy said:
omg im not the only one with the car and inverter idea. i have an old 4 cyl emergency backup car i use for that sometimes. yes the car will idle for days on a tank of gas.
i wouldnt use it for just the pellets, id use kerosene if the power went out but it is possible. i should try it on the englander to see. i did plug a watt meter on it and the most i ever saw it draw was 400 watts on startup ( must be the ignitor)

i use the car with an 800 watt (1250 peak) inverter for my sump pump. if i didnt run the sump pump for more than 5 minutes i think my basement would implode.

so if ppl are asking about it, i'd say this. not sure if its good to idle the car all day but it never hurt mine. also the inverter must not plug in through the cigarette adapter. it will blow the fuse easy. the inverter must have clips to connect directly to the cars battery.

Deffy, check your inverter to see if it produces a pure sign wave. If it is a pure sign wave it probably won't hurt the computer controls of your pellet stove.

If your inverter produces what they "like to call" a modified sign wave, it is really a square wave inverter and can damage electric motors and computer controls such as you may have on your stove.

The modified sine wave inverter will run electric motors and many electronic circuits, but it subjects them to unnatural strain that they dont get from a pure sign wave and this may cause early failure of what ever you run with your modified sign wave converter, which is really a square wave inverter.

When I investigated the matter, when i was looking into which inverter to buy, I was told that the modified sign wave inverter at the very least, will shorten the life span of your appliance by 15 % to 20%

When computer chips are concerned, a modified sine wave inverter could maybe blow them out
or maybe only shorten their lifespan. It depends on the weakest link or weakest component in the pelletstove motere board.

If you want cheap back up for your pellet stove buy a 500 wt 2 cycle 2 hp generator for 140.oo
at www.harborfreight.com It at least makes a pure sine wave & is a lot cheaper to run than a 4 cyl car engine for gasoline and can run power tools & lights in the woods where your car cant go.

I have a Honda 2500EX that I bought after the big ice storm in the mid to late 90s. I have town water and sewer so I do not need much to power the whole house with the exception of the electric cooking stove. It has done me well over the years. Still without power. PSNH is predicting that some areas will be out of power for at least 5 days.

Thanks for the reply. Right after posting, I bought the last 5k watt Troy Built generator at Lowes in Weymouth, MA. The nice lady said people where coming from
NH for generators. Right now life is good, water, heat, TV (gotta have the idiot box) and take-out food from Nashua. Today the local police said we may not see power until Thursday.

As George W. would say, "Were're hunkered down."

Take care everyone.

Guy

zeta said:
My sister in Northboro MA has been without since
4 am yesterday. Luckily she has this comfy RV
they bought this past summer. She got a phone call stating
that they can expect to be powerless for a couple more days.
gerrysmittmobile.jpg

That's a step above a a backup generator...a "backup house"!

ggww said:
Thanks for the reply. Right after posting, I bought the last 5k watt Troy Built generator at Lowes in Weymouth, MA. The nice lady said people where coming from
NH for generators.

Good to hear you are comfy and warm.

I know what it is like when there is a "run" on generators. I lucked out and bought the last one available here last January.

I also needed wood pellets and some "D" batteries that day. In my travels around town, I saw many people looking to buy a generator, but there were none to be had. I went into TSC to get pellets, and they had a generator set up to power the cash registers in case the power went out there. A customer was trying to buy it, and they kept telling him it was not for sale.

He was arguing with the manager, and things were getting pretty heated. I got my pellets and got out of there before the guy saw the new generator in the back of my truck.

I never did find any "D" batteries.

Power was restored here in Dunstable, MA at 3pm today.
Life is good.

Take care, everyone.
Guy

I'm in Vernon New Jersey, the same storm Thursday night hammered us. It hit very local-5000 out which was several lake communities. We just got power back today for 5 hours, out for 2 and now back on. I tried to get a generator during the storm, a small one from Pep boys, darn thing would not run for beans. Ended up taking it back tot he store. I think by next year I will have a decent generator with wiring to the panel to avoid this mess in the future.

Lost power for 4 days. Finally back with power. Ran the Pellet Stove on High for 9 hours certainly helped warm the house up fast. It was 42 degrees on my first floor and now 72 degrees, about 1900 Sqft. My oil is still trying to get the upstairs warmed up. The stove worked great. My only regret, no power, no heat. I did have a battery backup APC 1500VA that had a run time of 32 minutes when we lost power last Thursday. So that only gave us 10 minutes or so of "play time" and the rest was needed for a graceful shutdown. I was also surprised that the pellet stove did notice the switch over from AC to battery. It "hiccuped" but kept on working. You could hear the fans struggling at times. Its nice to be back and warm!

Still no power at my house, going on day 5.

I feel for all of you who lost power. Hopefully everyone is safe and sound.

For those of you how haven't done it yet, it might be time to think about buying some type of backup generator. I bought mine off CL this past year for pennies on the dollar... I wasn't crazy about spending the money, owning something else which requires maintenance and real estate in my over cluttered garage, but when it's needed it can be a real lifesaver.

Wet1 said:
For those of you how haven't done it yet, it might be time to think about buying some type of backup generator. I bought mine off CL this past year for pennies on the dollar...

That is an excellent suggestion. After the long outages here last January, there were dozens of 2-week old generators on CL going cheap.

This is day 5 for us with no power. Have a generator with transfer to power the essentials so we're not too bad here. The generator runs the pellet stove great but the 30 minute shut down is a pain. I am trying to shut my generator down once in a while to give it a rest. Hope the power comes back on soon.

Was driving through Leicester Mass on Sunday - looked like a hurricane went through the entire community.......

I would suggest that there will be house's without power going into this weekend. There are lines/trees down on EVERY road.

I'll be purchasing a used generator after this storm. Should be tons soon on CL!

Power not expected to come up for another 7-10 days in Westminster, MA.
Its been tough...especially on our Fire Department.

Attachments

• IceStorm_k.jpg
    IceStorm_k.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IceStorm_i.jpg
    IceStorm_i.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 546
Major91 said:
I'll be purchasing a used generator after this storm. Should be tons soon on CL!

I just saw 10 generators for sale on CL in my area for just the past 2 days....anywhere from $750 to $3000, from 1kw to 10kw.

macman said:
I just saw 10 generators for sale on CL in my area for just the past 2 days..

Only 10? Lol. Have a peek at how many on CL in my area: [url"http://boston.craigslist.org/"]linky[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.