Power outlet location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teetah222

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2009
WA state
I'm just getting ready to start my install and need to figure out a couple of placement issues. My power cord is (of course) on the opposite edge of the stove from the power outlet I intended to use. Did most/all of you put in a dedicated power outlet for the stove, or at least a power outlet that was solely put in for the intention of the stove cord reaching it? I'm not sure if I want to cut a hole in my living room wall to put another plug in 16 inches away from the existing outlet. Ideas? Advice?

I ran a dedicated line through the basement to just under the stove then drilled through the floor. In my case it is an insert done as a zero clearance. BUt then I now have a new recepticle in the basement under the stove so that when I set up the generator I can hook directly in....

Just my 2 cents..

Buy a 'good' quality power bar/surge suppressor with on/off switch.... plug it into the other outlet and mount the power bar where it is easily accessible.... have to think of lightning season too.... ;-)

I am going with the power bar surge protector.

I stole the power from a (now) unused 220V electric baseboard heater... put an outlit on the end cap of the heater. You really don't need a dedicated outlet as these stoves don't draw a lot of power.

The Quadra-Fire stoves use a standard C-13 computer cable so it's pretty easy to get the length you need, not sure if the Englanders are the same. I also purchase a Tripp Lite ULTRABLOK surge suppressor and tested the outlet for proper ground and reversed hot prior to the install.

Cool with the power surge suppresor bar. I eventually may run some wiring (there's an outlet for the fridge on the opposite side of the wall I'm putting the stove on, so an easy pull, I hope), but for a short term idea the surge suppressor cord would be easier. I have to get inspected, is that going to pass, do you think?

Haubera said:
.....but for a short term idea the surge suppressor cord would be easier.....
Just make sure that the power bar/surge suppressor is only very temporary.....the ones sold for computer power are poor at best at stopping surges. For these stoves, you need something that withstand 750 joules or higher, and should also protect all 3 legs of the power line.

Anything less, and your taking a big chance with your expensive stove's electronics.

macman said:
Haubera said:
.....but for a short term idea the surge suppressor cord would be easier.....
Just make sure that the power bar/surge suppressor is only very temporary.....the ones sold for computer power are poor at best at stopping surges. For these stoves, you need something that withstand 750 joules or higher, and should also protect all 3 legs of the power line.

Anything less, and your taking a big chance with your expensive stove's electronics.

Like macman says..... don't skimp on a $9.95 cheapo to protect your $$$$ stove.... check the 'specs' and be willing to pay $50 plus if need be ....oh and another thing, don't unplug the stove from the outlet when vacuuming it as the plug grounds your $$$$ stove...... static from the vac can kill the cct board........ cc ;-)

CanadaClinker said:
....oh and another thing, don't unplug the stove from the outlet when vacuuming it as the plug grounds your $$$$ stove...... static from the vac can kill the cct board........ cc ;-)

Great catch, Clinker!....never thought about that.

Great info! My instruction book says unplug for everything when you open it up... wonder if they thought of the static from the vacuum bugging it?

I make sure the thermostat is shut right down below 50 so the stove can't start up (igniter & pelet droping)......then just before cleaning, I flick the stat up then down real quick to start the exhaust blower but nothing else, leaving the stat below 50....... then when i open the door and start cleaning it, the blower sucks out the dust I disturb during cleaning up the exhaust.... not sure if this can be done with every stove or not but this is just what I do.....this way it is plugged in and grounded and the exhaust blower is keeping the dust out of the living room......my blower will run for about 15 min before it times out and quits............cc :)

I thought that was GEEK....saw the avatar and didnt even look at the name, was wondering why that all didnt make sense....now its clear

I put in a new outlet to be used just for the stove. I could have acquired a longer power cord for my Mt. Vernon, but then I would have had a cord running along the wall to the outlet. I figured that if I am spending the money for a nice stove, $50 to have a new outlet put in isn't a big deal. End result is a clean looking install with no visible wiring. As a bonus, I can plug my shop vac in right there when I clean it, no extension cords necessary.

Well, after all this, and thinking and re-thinking, I've decided to just take the extra step and put another outlet in the wall behind the stove. As I said it should only be a 16 inch run, if I've figured it out right and I can feed from one side of the wall to the other without going through a wall stud. I hope. I agree with the idea that a separate outlet would look cleaner than an extension cord across the floor. Wish me luck. :)

Haubera..I'm glad you came to that conclusion. When I designed my room, I knew I would have a pellet stove so I put the outlet right behind and cut the hole for the OAK. It looks so good and I don't have to worry about tripping or snagging the cord. You'll be glad you did this!

I screwed my surge protector to the baseboard directly behind the stove too.

Chandler

Groundhog said:
.....Check out the Tripp Lite Tripp Lite ULTRABLOK 428 if you want to add a surge suppressor without the additional cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ULTRABLOK428-Suppressor-Direct-plug/dp/B00006B81D/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

GroundHog, although it seems to be a nice unit, I'd be somewhat concerned with the low joules rating. From what I've read and been told, the surge protector for these stoves needs to be at least 750, or higher. Clamping voltage should be around 150, and all 3 legs should be protected (N-H-G).

macman said:
Groundhog said:
.....Check out the Tripp Lite Tripp Lite ULTRABLOK 428 if you want to add a surge suppressor without the additional cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ULTRABLOK428-Suppressor-Direct-plug/dp/B00006B81D/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

GroundHog, although it seems to be a nice unit, I'd be somewhat concerned with the low joules rating. From what I've read and been told, the surge protector for these stoves needs to be at least 750, or higher. Clamping voltage should be around 150, and all 3 legs should be protected (N-H-G).

Joule ratings are really are not as important as clamping voltage and are difficult to compare when looking at surge suppressors. There are a lot of super cheap models out there that claim very high joule ratings. You can read the link below for more information. The Tripp Lite I recommended is a solid unit with good specs. I ran it by an electrician here on the board before the purchase and he gave it the thumbs up.

More info on surge suppression and the unreliability of joule ratings...
http://www.mikeholt.com/files/PDF/LightningGuide_FINALpublishedversion_May051.pdf

I picked up a surge suppressor while I was getting the outlet materials. Seems to match everything that has been mentioned here.

Groundhog said:
Joule ratings are really are not as important as clamping voltage and are difficult to compare when looking at surge suppressors. The Tripp Lite I recommended is a solid unit with good specs. I ran it by an electrician here on the board before the purchase and he gave it the thumbs up........

Thanks for the good info Groundhog.

macman said:
Groundhog said:
Joule ratings are really are not as important as clamping voltage and are difficult to compare when looking at surge suppressors. The Tripp Lite I recommended is a solid unit with good specs. I ran it by an electrician here on the board before the purchase and he gave it the thumbs up........

Thanks for the good info Groundhog.

No problem Macman, it's a great read but almost too much information.

OK, work is underway. Put in the new outlet yesterday... worked on hole in ceiling and some pipe today. Here's the progress as of now. Hoping the wind won't be blowing tomorrow, like today, so I can get on the roof and finish up.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.