Power Poles for fire wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
28 year lineman here, those old cedars are great for kindling but those and some old chesnuts are the only untreated poles I have come across the rest are great for pole barns or in my case wood sheds.

In my backyard in May 2007 Qwest replaced the old Western Red Cedar powerpole at south edge.They bored a hole about 2 ft west of old one,set the new post & transferred all the cables & lines to it.Meanwhile the old post stayed in the ground until May 2009.They finally came out one afternoon I happened to be home.Pole was near a huge 100 yr+ old Mulberry at the corner of 3 properties,they cut off the top 10ft in 2 pieces where it was pretty weathered & chewed up,to clear some lower branches.I split those top sections for kindling & garden stakes.The remainder was pulled from the hole.I asked them if I could keep everything to save them hauling it off.It was 27 ft long.Removed all the hardware,nuts,bolts etc,thick iron rungs used for climbing (they just screwed out with a few turns.I cut off 2 10' sections,split them into rails & posts for fencing.The remaining 7' of the post was creosote treated & was buried in the ground.It was 12" at small end,15" at large.I ended up milling a 3" x 12" plank out of the center,1 garden bench from the thickest slab & a few smaller pieces from the rest.On the top of post next to the hardware was an aluminum 'tag' stapled to the post,stamped Aug.1928,so the post was a few yrs newer than this house.Those cedar benches etc will probably still be around after this house & I are history.

woodmeister said:
28 year lineman here, those old cedars are great for kindling but those and some old chesnuts are the only untreated poles I have come across the rest are great for pole barns or in my case wood sheds.

Thanks for all the info. That is what I was told they are. They broke right at the ground level. I would of tried to use them to stack wood on, but they were all cut up for me. I did try a small chunk and it burnt fine and coaled really well. Could not smell anything other the Cedar. Again Thanks for the help!!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.