Power pulls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
After inquiring on chains, someone advised that when you get stuck with chains you need a "plan C" to get home.

I'm working on plan C. I've been looking at power pulls and the thought of wire ropes bearing thousands of pounds of strain gives me the willies. So I was interested in the Wyeth-Scott Power Pull. But looking at a nearby hardware store I found an American Power Pull 3-ton puller. It looks exactly like a Wyeth-Scott only I can't find anything on it that so states.

Both Wyeth-Scott and American PP are from Ohio.

Here is a picture

http://www.americanpowerpull.com/Default.aspx?gid=3&pid=115

Does anyone have any recomendation one over the other? The American PP seems to be a slightly better deal considering I don't have to pay shipping.

I might get this before going with tire chains since this seems like it would have dozens of other uses.

By the time I am stuck, I'm not sure 3 tons of pull is gonna do much. Just sayin'.

Or maybe your talking about a quad or something??

So how to you get unstuck?

Aside from spending hundreds of dollars on an electric winch, I know of no other puller with greater strength.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with off-roading. I've been stuck a number of times, and it seems that 3 tons of pull would work just fine - but perhaps you know more than I.

unless your truck is hanging off of a cliff you don't need to be able to pull X tons (the weight of loaded truck). Unless you are saying that I can apply 2 tons of force with my bare hands (I can push my truck when in neutral and on flat ground).

wait. are we talking about being axle deep in thick mud? or are we talking about needing to get out of a snow rut when you start spinning. if you are getting into deep mud and have to pull an entire vehicle out, then you need like 1.5+ pulling power of the vehicle's weight, probably more.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
So how to you get unstuck?

How or what you are stuck in, makes a big difference in the method out. What I use for being stuck in mud, probably wouldn't be that great in snow. I don't usually get stuck in snow, but for mud, I find great use in a tall farm jack and boards. The last (and only) time in recent history that I was stuck in snow required the use of my backhoe to get me out - two four wheel drive pickups couldn't do it - hence the concern over a 3 ton pull.

Don't take my above post as saying that the puller doesn't have uses, but lets face it - on a quad, they use a 1500# winch as typically the smallest.

Danno77 said:
wait. are we talking about being axle deep in thick mud?

If you ain't axle deep - you ain't stuck yet. :lol:

When you get stuck enough that you need winched out, you need a lot of force to get unstuck. Whatcha drivin? If it a ranger 3k might do it. If its a f350 you can get those permastuck and will need a dozer.

I would make plan c a cell phone call to a buddy or wrecker service.

Jags said:
Danno77 said:

If you can still see the tires you aren't trying hard enough...

That's what friend of mine thought in his "invincible" jeep. Axels come off easier than you think. Ask me how I know...

I have always found that if you are truly stuck, and not just spinning on grease or ice, you need alot of pull. Had to fetch some kids out of a dead end road. Mud stuck. Ain't going anywhere fast. Had to back up to them to chain up, what a load of dead weight. I have also found that a strap with a bit of give to it will get you unstuck easier than a chain (Fwiw).

Hey - here is an idea: Get your power pull AND a two or three way pulley. You can double or triple the pull. Much slower, but if your really stuck - you got no where to go anyhow. You can find used pulleys all over (farm auctions, etc), and it would still be light on the wallet.

Jags said:
Hey - here is an idea: Get your power pull AND a two or three way pulley. You can double or triple the pull. Much slower, but if your really stuck - you got no where to go anyhow. You can find used pulleys all over (farm auctions, etc), and it would still be light on the wallet.
probably the cheapest solution out there. I like it.

I have a 5-ton hand winch (yep, weighs about 100#+) that I mounted on my last trailer. Slow cranking with a 3/4" ratchet, but would pull anything. Something like that, coupled with a pulley or two, should do it. Just fab up a receiver (or have a local shop do it) front and rear and you can swap as needed.

The power pull in question already comes with a block and hook. The 3-ton advertisement is with a two-line rig (you halve the cable's reach though). I suppose I could get a second block and increase the pull to 6 ton THAT should pull out my Dodge Dakota (quad cab).

If you can still see the tires you aren’t trying hard enough…

I guess this is what's puzzling me. It seems to me that I would have resorted to the power pull much sooner.

So if you're "merely spinning" on greasy mud, what do you do to get out? Seems like a puller would be a good option.

So if you're "merely spinning" on greasy mud, what do you do to get out? Seems like a puller would be a good option.

I always carry a couple of chains and at least one strap. Throw the chain under the wheels.

Being in cheese head country and land of snowmobiles (I don't wanna hear any crap about "snowmachine" :coolsmirk: ), find a buddy that is replacing the track and studs. Cut into two pieces (one for each wheel) and stuff it under the wheels. Again, this is where a tall farm jack comes in handy.

that's my take on it.

lukem said:
Jags said:
Danno77 said:

If you can still see the tires you aren't trying hard enough...

That's what friend of mine thought in his "invincible" jeep. Axels come off easier than you think. Ask me how I know...

Oh dear :bug:

The power pull in question already comes with a block and hook. The 3-ton advertisement is with a two-line rig (you halve the cable's reach though). I suppose I could get a second block and increase the pull to 6 ton THAT should pull out my Dodge Dakota (quad cab).

If you can still see the tires you aren’t trying hard enough…

I guess this is what's puzzling me. It seems to me that I would have resorted to the power pull much sooner.

That's exactly my point. DON'T bury because it gets real hard to get unstuck. If you are lightly stuck in a Dakota a 3k rig would do the job unless you have to go uphill to get out...that's another story.

Jack and track works well in the same situation.

Jags said:
Being in cheese head country and land of snowmobiles (I don't wanna hear any crap about "snowmachine" :coolsmirk: ), ...

Hey, didn't we just see a track machine parked in your driveway this fall/winter ;-)
Bet ya made some $$$ this winter with pull-outs :)

Back to the topic...

A hand winch/come-a-long can get you out of sticky situation. It all depends on how deep, and how much you have loaded on the Dakota. Doubling or quadrupling the pull line will get more oomph, but you'll need a longer line, and more pulls to tug it out.
In other words - just don't get stuck, or walk out your path before hand and see what the "problem" spots may be.

Ohh... And don't try to get a lifted 3500 out that's buried to the sill plates with a 9K winch; the line WILL snap and go through the windshield.

Co-worker found out the hard and expensive way - Hood, windshield, roof, and winch :)

Anybody want to buy a convertible Dodge with a "V" shaped hood ;-) For sale, CHEAP! (Just lucky that he was using the remote at the time, instead of the on-board controls.)

That’s exactly my point. DON’T bury because it gets real hard to get unstuck. If you are lightly stuck in a Dakota a 3k rig would do the job unless you have to go uphill to get out…that’s another story.

Jack and track works well in the same situation.

Lukem, thanks that helps. When people were posting things like "you ain't trying hard enough" I'm thinking they somehow thought it better to keep spinning. I thought maybe there was some 'trick" to off-roading that I wasn't getting. I know a lot of southerners don't know how to get out of snow. I'm just not real familiar with mud, since ever auto I've ever owned before this was 2WD I just avoided getting stuck.

The jack-n-track advice is taken. It's not much different than the method I've used of gathering sticks and branches to lay under the tires.

I pulled my 6K lb F250 out of a ditch with my Wyeth-Scott power puller. Not the fastest way to go, but strong, reliable, and affordable.

The other puller on the first post sure does look like the same thing. Interesting.

Flatbedford said:
I pulled my 6K lb F250 out of a ditch with my Wyeth-Scott power puller. Not the fastest way to go, but strong, reliable, and affordable.

The other puller on the first post sure does look like the same thing. Interesting.

Thanks. It's always frustrating when you post more than one question and only one gets answered or sometimes none. I did ask what people knew about the American Power Puller.

You might check out something like this:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/magnum-hand-winch-unit-only-p-11746.html

These winches are not cheap, but the pull can be doubled and tripled with snatch blocks, and they work from front, rear, or side. They can pull sixty six feet without resetting, unlike a spool based winch, do not lose pulling power as cable is wound on a winch. They do not required battery or engine power. I have pulled snags out of trees with it, and logs out of ravines. However, you will get a work out.

My #3500 pound unit is rated lift, not a rolling load (rolling load is up to 4X greater capacity) and was is suitable for anything up Suburban stuck to the axles. I have pulled a heavy UPS truck out of the ditch, two wheel hanging, with it.

Maybe this helps,

That ARB rig looks pretty cool. It is not that much more $$$ than the Wyeth-Scott one either. Looks like a nice, flexible system.

Status
Not open for further replies.