Power venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I undertsand that an oil boiler can be power vented through a sidewall and there are certain clearances you should follow with these. Can a wood boiler also be power vented? I really want to install a gassifier in my basement as opposed to an outside unit but it appears I will have to move my oil boiler and power vent it or leave the oil boiler in place and construct a new chimney for the wood boiler.

With regards to the clearances for the power vent...appears min. 4' from a window is ideal but if this cannot be obtained(looks like my location would be below a window and only 2.5' away) and the window is not allowed to be opened am I ok?

To my knowledge wood boilers can not be power vented. As far as windows and ground clearance on oil venting, it all comes down to exhaust getting in the house. It will vent fine, but if the window is open and the wind is right, some of it will come in. My oil boilers power vent is under a window and a little low to the ground. We just open the top sash of the window instead of the bottom and close the window altogether when it is windy. I use the oil boiler so rarely now, it has not been an issue. My guess is you would be fine in your situation as well. The idea with gasification is that in the long run when your boiler and eventual storage is all hooked up, the oil is just backup anyway.

I forsee that the oil boiler will only be used for hot water in the non heating season. I just wish I did not have to relocate the oil boiler but there may be no avoiding it I guess. Will the exhausts from the power vent stain or discolor vinyl siding?

Status
Not open for further replies.