power? who needs it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My_3_Girls

Burning Hunk
Aug 7, 2006
Massachusetts
I know, I know, the table is too close, and the pipe isn't to code, but without power for the insert in the house, I had to resort to the Madison I found at a tag sale earlier in the year. Still for sale, and it obviously burns ok! Chili for lunch, chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Attachments

• halloween power out.jpg
    halloween power out.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 592
My_3_Girls said:
I know, I know, the table is too close, and the pipe isn't to code, but without power for the insert in the house, I had to resort to the Madison I found at a tag sale earlier in the year. Still for sale, and it obviously burns ok! Chili for lunch, chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Wow, now thats getting it done! Hope the code police dont get you!

NATE379 said:
I take it your kitchen stove is not gas/propane?

Probably not-mine isn't either...I have a 1960s ranch with a 1970s kitchen complete with what was then a "state of the art" electric range. BAH! Give me gas or propane anyday! The functionality of a gas stove in a power outage aside, man was meant to cook over fire-not hot coils!

It's called making do with what you have when it is necessary to do so.

Backwoods Savage said:
It's called making do with what you have when it is necessary to do so.

I should have had my wife take picture of me shaving in the dark wearing a headlamp with a bowl of hot water I heated up on top of the wood furnace! :lol:

That would have been a good picture!

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
Great picture, more than 1000 words :)

Looks like a cool set up you have there 3 girls. Power outage can make for a nice change. Temporarily of course.

In 1998 we lost power at the house for 7 days straight. Seems like it was just yesterday. The ice storm had taken out power all over. And even though our problem was right down the road and back in the woods a bit, we were low priority. Larger # of customers come first. Luckily I had a generator. Saved my house. The outage made for some interesting nights of cooking on the grill. Some trips for gasoline for the generator. And running extension cords for the fridges in the house.

Last year lost power one night as I was getting ready for work. In the middle of taking a shower. No power = no water since I am on a community well which has no backup power. Real fun trying to rinse off with the last bit of water pressure in the pitch black!

3 days later we got the power back. By then I had resorted to draining the water heater for toilet flushing, washing hands, shaving, etc.

I was very happy to have the Blaze King burning the whole time. 70* in the house and didn't have to worry about anything freezing. A few of my neighbors have gas fireplaces that were claimed to be "backup heat". They soon found out that they don't heat much. Yeah it will keep the house from freezing up, but 50-55* isn't all that comfortable.

Gasifier said:
Looks like a cool set up you have there 3 girls. Power outage can make for a nice change. Temporarily of course.

In 1998 we lost power at the house for 7 days straight. Seems like it was just yesterday. The ice storm had taken out power all over. And even though our problem was right down the road and back in the woods a bit, we were low priority. Larger # of customers come first. Luckily I had a generator. Saved my house. The outage made for some interesting nights of cooking on the grill. Some trips for gasoline for the generator. And running extension cords for the fridges in the house.

14 days straight here from that ice storm . . . and this was in my pre-woodstove days . . . and honestly this was just one of the reasons for wanting a woodstove . . . the final event that really prodded me to take action though was the high heating oil prices a few years back.

I was happy though during the power outage to be able to find a small generator which a friend hooked up to my oil boiler to keep the place warm . . . well that and I used it to play video games since I was right in middle of a TombRaider game.

Having a propane gas stove was also quite convenient . . . it's amazing what you can cook on a stove top when you're worried about your freezers melting . . . apparently even some food that is supposed to be baked can be cooked on the stove top.

The one good thing after being without power for so long is that it made me realize what I needed and didn't need to stay relatively self sufficient and comfortable should we lose power in the future . . . now a power loss is more of a minor inconvenience.

NATE379 said:
Last year lost power one night as I was getting ready for work. In the middle of taking a shower. No power = no water since I am on a community well which has no backup power. Real fun trying to rinse off with the last bit of water pressure in the pitch black!

3 days later we got the power back. By then I had resorted to draining the water heater for toilet flushing, washing hands, shaving, etc.

I was very happy to have the Blaze King burning the whole time. 70* in the house and didn't have to worry about anything freezing. A few of my neighbors have gas fireplaces that were claimed to be "backup heat". They soon found out that they don't heat much. Yeah it will keep the house from freezing up, but 50-55* isn't all that comfortable.

I hear ya. Power outages can be fun in short intervals but they stink when you have to keep on keeping on with normal work routines. I'd rather stay home and tend to the house needs during a power outage than to make do trying to have some normalcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.