POWERFUL STORM IS HEADED FOR THE SOUTHERN MAINLAND OF ALASKA.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a reference point winter, isn't it? Sounds like a mighty storm indeed.

ummm . . . would that be the same NOAA that said today was supposed to warm up? One of my coworkers said, "I should have gotten a job as a weatherman. No matter what you do, you get to keep your job. You just smile and make a guess . . . "

-40 is not my idea of warming up . . . unless you are one of the forsaken souls who live in North Pole, where there have been recent creditable reports of -67F. MINUS FREAKING SIXTY-SEVEN BELOW!!! That's almost 70 below. Which is ridiculous. Remind me of why it is people are crazy enough to live in a place like that?

God Bless the good people of Alaska..you have endured enough this winter....I just don't know how you guys do it! Stay warm my fellow wood burners....

piejam said:
God Bless the good people of Alaska..you have endured enough this winter....I just don't know how you guys do it! Stay warm my fellow wood burners....

+1 from here........

That's a big low pressure system. It would be interesting to see how that affects the jet stream.........

DAKSY said:
snowleopard said:
Remind me of why it is people are crazy enough to live in a place like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska

I say the same thing when I see hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts & floods in various location in the lower 48.
I see temperatures so high that you can't go outside for very long, electrical brown outs due to so many air conditioners running,
Many have high taxes, & many regulations to tell you how to live on your own land.
I mean, we each have good & bad, pros & cons to where we live. ;)
So far for me, the "pros" out weigh the "cons" to live here. I just hope this winter don't become the "norm" here.
The storm is welcome , I'm at +25° & 20 MPH winds today. A Heat wave & lov'n it . :)

Well I don't think they said anything about rain huh? Either it turns to snow and it won't be too bad or it's gonna rain for a few days and everything will be slicker than snot on a chicken's lip.

Attachments

• 100_7158.jpg
    100_7158.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_7162.jpg
    100_7162.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 275
Right now in the big city of Anchorage im seeing gusting winds blowing snow and 31.5F its gonna be exciting tonight. hope we get some good snow in palmer. i only got a couple feet in the yard now.

34.4° now, Deck cover with wet snow, railing snow is melting. Shoveled it, real heavy slush & only 1-1/2".
Wind blowing hard, sticking to the North side windows.
Roads icy, power flickered a few times already.
Rain/snow tomorrow.
Possible schools close, which is rare here.
YUK!
Early Spring ??? :) :)

Attachments

• 100_7164.jpg
    100_7164.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_7170.jpg
    100_7170.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 233
Heard on the radio it is +43 at merrill field in Anchorage yikes that should be a mess with all th snow down there. Warmed up to around zero up here wooooo! Feels like t shirt weather after 40+ days of -25 or colder

Some areas near Palmer, the busses didn't run this AM. Ice covered roads. My driveway is slick ice.
36° here, windy but less than yesterday, no new snow yet today.
It is "T" shirt weather here. :)

I have been in Alaska for various reasons and can see why people love living there. For those hardy folks, best wishes for a warm home and never empty wood stacks.

Dave, I hope you get to enjoy some warm weather for a change. As you know we are having a very odd winter. We were above 50 two days ago. Today was mainly around 40 but around 4:30 the sun came out and I have to admit that it really did feel like spring; even more so than the 50 degree day did. I've experienced a few warm winters and several very cold winters. Winters with much snow and winters with very little snow. Yet, I do not recall any winter that would compare with what we've had especially since Christmas. Amazing to say the least. But, we still have to get through February and March...

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, I hope you get to enjoy some warm weather for a change. As you know we are having a very odd winter. We were above 50 two days ago. Today was mainly around 40 but around 4:30 the sun came out and I have to admit that it really did feel like spring; even more so than the 50 degree day did. I've experienced a few warm winters and several very cold winters. Winters with much snow and winters with very little snow. Yet, I do not recall any winter that would compare with what we've had especially since Christmas. Amazing to say the least. But, we still have to get through February and March...

Thanks
Last night the news said over 2300 NEW "high temp records" were set in the lower 48 so far this winter,,, So Far!!!.
I think we may have set some new low temp ones.
It sure is nice to go outside at 30°, I mean all I need is a long sleeve shirt. :)
Made a mess of the roads, with the rain/snow mix but the warm temps were worth it.
We've had winters with no days below zero, we called that a warm winter.
Seen -30s at the house for a week in 1995-96 winter, worst for here. Lots of snow, no or very little snow, Then; we always get hit, when we think we made it :)
It was still daylight at 5 PM today, we're on our way . To be above 20 days for the net week , :)

Enjoy the weather, it may change for the worse. You , like most here, are well prepared if it does.

I thought I'd have 2 - 3 more weeks of getting wood this fall, but winter hit & hasn't left. Will have to do some wood gathering this spring, but that's OK . (before the bugs I hope)

It's not the heat, it's the humidity . . .

It's up to 25 ABOVE zero here. Heck, I would have been grateful for -25. The air feels thick and balmy, almost hard to breathe, it's so rich . . .

snowleopard said:
It's not the heat, it's the humidity . . .

It's up to 25 ABOVE zero here. Heck, I would have been grateful for -25. The air feels thick and balmy, almost hard to breathe, it's so rich . . .

Welcome back from space.
Your other post were so cold, the words froze & broke up before I could read them.
Does feel good to go outside & breath & be able to inhale deep again. Not breath thru a mask. LOL :lol:

75° WARMER for you, relax a bit, let your body adjust slowly ;)

34° here, just finishing a 24 hour burn, 1st one in 6 weeks, house 74°. 8 hour of daylight in 2 more days. Feels like I survived something.
May have to open some windows.

Ragtime winter . . .

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO.
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH. OVER STEESE HIGHWAY SUMMITS...
SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING 55 MPH WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY IN
BLOWING SNOW...IMPROVING SOME AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.FRIDAY...SNOW DEVELOPING WITH BLOWING SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON.
UP TO ONE INCH ACCUMULATION. HIGHS 5 BELOW TO ZERO. WINDS BECOMING
WEST 20 TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW DIMINISHING AFTER MIDNIGHT. AREAS OF BLOWING
SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION TO 1 INCH. LOWS 20 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO.
SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH. WIND CHILL TO 50 BELOW AFTER
MIDNIGHT.

snowleopard said:
Ragtime winter . . .

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO.
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH. OVER STEESE HIGHWAY SUMMITS...
SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING 55 MPH WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY IN
BLOWING SNOW...IMPROVING SOME AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.FRIDAY...SNOW DEVELOPING WITH BLOWING SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON.
UP TO ONE INCH ACCUMULATION. HIGHS 5 BELOW TO ZERO. WINDS BECOMING
WEST 20 TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW DIMINISHING AFTER MIDNIGHT. AREAS OF BLOWING
SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION TO 1 INCH. LOWS 20 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO.
SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH. WIND CHILL TO 50 BELOW AFTER
MIDNIGHT.

Those are Mat -Su wind speeds :bug:
Hunker down, hope you keep power.

Thank you. We lived out on the western coast for awhile, and did some time on the Rock, so we love a good storm.

But even if I do lose power, I'll be okay. I have a wood stove, and wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.