Powersmith ash vac VS shopvac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
Im more concerned about the filter and not having ash blow in the room. Is the powesmith filter HEPA ?and does it do a good job keeping ash in the vac?

Or am I better of with a shop vac with hepa filter?

*i don't plan on vacuuming hot ashes... strictly will be vacuuming the stove after a few hours it's been cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of search on ash vacs, Brands filters and some good reading.
Some of the ask vacs are with less CFM air flow and power. Click on Forums down to search and type in ash vac.
Good Luck

I've read through several of the ash vac/ shopvac threads and came to the conclusion that shopvac with a filter bag was the way to go. Several months into the season, Ive no complaints to talk about. When i vacuum my stove, there isnt any 'mess' flying around. btw, i'm using the oem filter

Reactions: Edward Hughes
I've read through several of the ash vac/ shopvac threads and came to the conclusion that shopvac with a filter bag was the way to go. Several months into the season, Ive no complaints to talk about. When i vacuum my stove, there isnt any 'mess' flying around. btw, i'm using the oem filter
Glad the shop vac works well for you. Some of the yellow bags are reused, and some members used white bags with Hepa filters many ways
with the shop vac. You can find all the difference changes in the search HOW TO HANDLE DUST AND ASH CHEAP. hALF WAY DOWN FIRST PAGE. Good luck

Reactions: Wickets
I use a shopvac, yellow drywall bag and HEPA filter in place. I empty the bag and reuse. The most important thing about reusing the bag is to empty it way before it gets filled. Empty when about 1/3 full, less chance of rips/tears. I usually get at least two years out of a bag and do the same thing with my cornvac system.

I pulled the trigger n ordered the powersmith. Let's see how it goes!

c52fed583bdb11d97d89862c641ee726.jpg
I bought this about a month ago and love it
Shop vac works well
But this thing really works well
Comes with so nice accessories too

I too have a Powersmith. Love it. Bought it last year after reading about it here. Was using a Craftsman shop vac before that. Ash vac for sucking ash, shop vac for everything else. Just makes life easier.

Thanks for all the response to the PowerSmith vac Post. Great Job.

I got a Sears Ash Vacuum, $78 on sale. 916819 Heavy hose, aluminum tip, double bag, no dust, very powerful. I use it with the stove going. Takes 8 seconds to get the piles of ash. It comes with pellet stove kit with small hole adapters.

Im more concerned about the filter and not having ash blow in the room. Is the powesmith filter HEPA ?and does it do a good job keeping ash in the vac?

Or am I better of with a shop vac with hepa filter?

*i don't plan on vacuuming hot ashes... strictly will be vacuuming the stove after a few hours it's been cold.

Im looking to buy one in the near future. I am using a shop vac at the moment. Let me no how you like it.

Update... well worth the money...nice small size.. not bulky like a shop vac... I bought the extra attachments (hose) best money can buy... the hose helps me get in the igniter. Power smith!!!! U won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Wickets