PPE - Boots recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgeiger

Nov 22, 2008
Northwestern VA
So I've done my searches through here and attempted to weed through AS threads (couldn't figure out how to search) looking for recommendations on boots. So, yes, I got my homework out of the way first... However, while I was able to find something like (_http://forestry.about.com/library/weekly/aa062501a.htm) with lots of boot manufacturers and recommendations there are so many choices my eyes are bugging out :bug:.

Can y'all help me pick out a boot style/shape/type that's good for my purpose?

Specifically, I plan to cut about 10 cord a year of deadfall (it'll take me awhile [read "years" to clear it out before I even think of felling something). I want a steel toed (preferably chainsaw-rated) boot but since I'll only be cutting on the occasional weekend and not full-time, I'm not sure how much boot is overkill for me. What should I look for? For instance, since I won't be climbing anything it seems like a steel shank is overkill.

As usual, price is not a problem - I'd rather save up enough money to do it right than go cheap now and regret it later (minus a few toes).

Thanks in advance.

-BlueRidge

i like timberland pros -

I wear Matterhorn 12255 coal miner's boots when cutting because they not only have a steel sole plate but a steel metatarsal shield so the saw doesn't cut through the top of my foot. They cost a fortune but they are worth every dime.

I don't have special chainsaw boots. In all my years of cutting I've found the the risk of logs rolling and smashing/crushing feet far, far out strips the risk of hitting one's feet with a chainsaw. I know dozens of loggers, and hundreds of firewood cutters and I don't know ANYONE who has done serious damage to their foot with a chainsaw. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, however. I'm just saying I've never heard of it.

Bigg_Redd said:
I don't have special chainsaw boots. In all my years of cutting I've found the the risk of logs rolling and smashing/crushing feet far, far out strips the risk of hitting one's feet with a chainsaw. I know dozens of loggers, and hundreds of firewood cutters and I don't know ANYONE who has done serious damage to their foot with a chainsaw. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, however. I'm just saying I've never heard of it.
when the bar is longer than your leg "Thats when I started"

Status
Not open for further replies.