PPE for carrying wood into the house??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
Man, who would-a' thunk I'd need to evaluate my wood carrying PPE gear. It's been chilly here the last few days, so last night I decided to load up the wheel barrow with wood and park it next to my porch steps. With slippers on my feet I loaded the wheel barrow, lifted the handles and went to thrust forward with my planted (slippered) foot. WHOOSH my foot lost all traction on the icy gronud and I flew forward planting my face directly into the load of wood. If you've ever broken your nose you are familiar with that sickening sound of breaking cartiledge and thats what I heard as I got up close and personal with my load. After I recovered enough and dared to remove my hand from my wounded schnauze, I looked around furtively to see if anyone witnessed my clumsy dance. ( thankfully not!). The nose is recovering today, still reasonably straight and not quite as bruised as my pride. So, for the common good I'm sharing this tale of woe with you and suggest that you leave the slippers at the door when hauling wood into the house! ;-P

sorry to hear about your schnauze! But I'm right there with you when you got up and looked around first to see if anyone saw you! Been there done that too. I did the slide down the steps with the slippers on trick and land in the snow pile myself. Just glad you didn't damage any of the wood!

Hope things heal up well, sorry to hear about that.

I'm guilty of 'sliper skating' with an arm load of wood quite often. So far I haven't damaged myself too bad, but I'm sure it's coming.

drbond said:
sorry to hear about your schnauze! But I'm right there with you when you got up and looked around first to see if anyone saw you! Been there done that too. I did the slide down the steps with the slippers on trick and land in the snow pile myself. Just glad you didn't damage any of the wood!

The wood was quite undamaged, thank you very much. But, several hours later it paid the supreme price.

Dang, bro - hope you get well soon!

I don't necessarily go all out for PPE when moving wood - usually a pair of gloves and work boots which are steel toed for the heavy moving, but I'm guilty of always sneaking out on the back deck in socks, slippers or what ever to grab a few more logs. Although I have found the best use for my slippers is shuffling around the carpet to build up a static charge, then zapping some unsuspecting victim...usually the wife!

Corey

Ouch ! Deadly details , i felt it throught the words of chris.

Hey chris , tell me .......... they dont still make wheel barrows do they ?!

If not a lawn mower or garden tractor with a wagon then it might be a good time to look into a 4 wheel cart for wood.

Be safe , and dont forget to put yer damn boots on ! :p

(and maybe even a full-face motorcycle helmet )

I'm thinking of keeping a pair of tweezers in the woodpile

I'm always running around outside in my slippers. That's a shame. Black eyes yet? Mine lasted six months when I caught a baseball in the nose stealing second base in younger days.

I am happy to report the schnauze isn't busted. It's still sore, kinda feels like a sausage stuck to my face, but all intact!. Roos, I've pomised my teenaged boys that I won't have a riding mower, snowblower, logsplitter, or any of those highly coveted power accessories until they are out of the house and unavailabe as my labor pool. Sure they still make wheel barrows, mine is a trusty true value hardware special, 5 years old and going strong. Anyway, I'll make sure of my footing out at the woopile in the future. After this happened last night, my kind hearted son looked a me like I rode the "short bus" and offered his hockey helmet and face mask for my wood carrying.

chrisN said:
I am happy to report the schnauze isn't busted. It's still sore, kinda feels like a sausage stuck to my face, but all intact!. Roos, I've pomised my teenaged boys that I won't have a riding mower, snowblower, logsplitter, or any of those highly coveted power accessories until they are out of the house and unavailabe as my labor pool. Sure they still make wheel barrows, mine is a trusty true value hardware special, 5 years old and going strong. Anyway, I'll make sure of my footing out at the woopile in the future. After this happened last night, my kind hearted son looked a me like I rode the "short bus" and offered his hockey helmet and face mask for my wood carrying.

*********************** :lol: **************************

I highly reccomend the two wheeled log cart that Harbor Freight sells - if you catch the right catalog it's around $30, and well worth it. It runs on two smallish bicycle wheels, carrys a good bit of wood - probably at least 100lbs worth with no trouble, and it goes up and down stairs pretty well using the 'deep knee bend" technique. Lesser obstructions are no problem at all. I've used a wheelbarrow, and this totally out does it, more wood with far less effort.

Only limit is that the wheel spacing is limited by the clearance to get through most doors, so the logs can only be about 22" max length on the lower third of the cart in order to fit between the wheels.

Probably wouldn't do well with big rounds, but for splits it's perfect.

Gooserider

I didnt even have the protection of a slipper. I was carrying wood from the garage to the fireplace once and dropped a very large spit from chest height and the sharp edge of the split landed right on top of my bare foot! I saw stars till spring! Since then I have bought a log carrying bag/tote.

Michael6268 said:
I didnt even have the protection of a slipper. I was carrying wood from the garage to the fireplace once and dropped a very large spit from chest height and the sharp edge of the split landed right on top of my bare foot! I saw stars till spring! Since then I have bought a log carrying bag/tote.

I have one of those slings, I found it an excellent launching platform for dropping splits where they will do the most damage / cause the most pain :eek:hh: - I don't use the sling any more, but the metal stand is near the stove as my "clearance" holder - If I have less than a days worth of splits on the cart that I mentioned earlier, I empty the splits from the cart into the stand, then go get another cart load. Because of the layout of our rather crowded room, the stand leaves the wood closer to the stove than it really should be (~12-18") but I've never felt anything sitting on the stand to be more than barely warm to the touch, and nothing will be on it more than about 12 hours if the stove is burning (If the stove isn't burning, the log poses no extra fire hazard), so I don't worry about it.

I will on rare occasion use the sling to get some of the "chunky bits" that are oddball peices which won't fit on the cart

Gooserider

There is a neet pattern for a log carrier in the most recent edition of Mother Earth news. Made from rope and spreades battons. I'll probably make a couple when I have time.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.