PPE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my chaps, gloves, face shield with ear protection today. I'm feeling a little more at ease. Need to get some steel toed boots, and I'll be a little more at ease.

Best $120 I've spent in a while.

I started wearing chaps for the first time this year. I am finding them to be more comfortable than I expected, help out when working in briars, and certainly make things safer when doing higher risk jobs like limbing.

You have made a good investment.

pen

Reactions: TreePointer
I started wearing chaps for the first time this year. I am finding them to be more comfortable than I expected, help out when working in briars, and certainly make things safer when doing higher risk jobs like limbing.

pen

Agree. I get nervous with that big spinning chain. My form is probably not the best. A little precaution is wise. One slip or stumble and you're in bad shape. Could bleed out if you hit the wrong area and you are alone.

Could bleed out if you hit the wrong area and you are alone.

Heck, could do the same standing right next to an idling ambulance!

The hassle of the stuff is certainly outweighed by its potential benefit.

pen

What shoes do you wear?

That sounds good. Steel toed is good.

It's like anything, there could always be more protection (like wearing an actual set of chainsaw boots or full versus partial chaps, etc, etc.)

But making an honest and conscious attempt at safety which may vary based upon what the activity is, is far better than what most do.

pen

It's like anything, there could always be more protection (like wearing an actual set of chainsaw boots or full versus partial chaps, etc, etc.)

But making an honest and conscious attempt at safety which may vary based upon what the activity is, is far better than what most do.

pen

My chaps go from waist to just above my ankles. Not full wrap though. Back of legs aren't likely to be nicked

I was eying some of those boots in the Bailey's catalog. Little more than I would like to spend right now. Maybe for X-mas if I find a pair on sale or something

I spend a lot of time in the woods cutting firewood, hunting and getting away from the crazies. I have been thinking about those GPS emergency locators. I can spend between 8-12 hours without seeing or talking to anyone. Cell phone coverage is questionable in some spots. It might be good insurance.

I am not wanting to go overboard on the safety thing but there is a lot of stuff that can go wrong when I am up a tree with a bow or cutting wood or hooking chains and straps to logs. Plus I would use it when I am on forest roads with the little 250 dirt bike. I use the buddy system when I can but I enjoy getting away from people too and like the solitude of the woods all to myself and the critters.

Reactions: TreePointer and pen
I'm working on it...still...

Reactions: MasterMech
DSC00179.JPG

Here's my new safety gear. Tried it on the day I got 'em and had my assistant take a picture. Dorky yes, but here's what I got. chaps, gloves, face shield, and ear protection. Had to pose with my saw of course!!!

:cool:

Business man gone postal! Tired of that wooden desk, this stihl will take care of that....lol

But really, looks good to me. I just picked up a new helmet w/ear & face protection this past friday. Nothing wrong with being safe. Have fun!

Reactions: firecracker_77
Silly question, but do those chaps go down to the tops of your boots ? If not ,you might want to trade them for a set that do . When you bend at all to cut the ones you have look like they'll expose your lower legs .
Could be just my bad eyes . Alway measure chaps from the belt-line ,not the inseam .

Silly question, but do those chaps go down to the tops of your boots ? If not ,you might want to trade them for a set that do . When you bend at all to cut the ones you have look like they'll expose your lower legs .
Could be just my bad eyes . Alway measure chaps from the belt-line ,not the inseam .

They cut off 6 inches above the ankles.

They cut off 6 inches above the ankles.
Personally I'd considered them too short to be effective ,and get a pair that hit the boot tops . But that's just me . If your happy with them , great . Enjoy cutting ! !

firecracker... that pic is awesome! I thought I was bad bringing my saw onto school grounds to show off (no, I didn't start her up in the parking lot... yet).

Very Nice!! Only thing better(but not safer when cutting) is if you had a tie on :)

View attachment 110878

Here's my new safety gear. Tried it on the day I got 'em and had my assistant take a picture. Dorky yes, but here's what I got. chaps, gloves, face shield, and ear protection. Had to pose with my saw of course!!!

LOL! That is a whole new look to a desk jockey. :)

Do yourself a favor, if you want to keep your job, don't try out the saw on the office furniture! Office managers don't really take a liking to that! ;)

Do yourself a favor, if you want to keep your job, don't try out the saw on the office furniture! Office managers don't really take a liking to that! ;)

LOL! Ahhhh, the joys of the internet.

LOL!!! No guys. I'm self employed. I keep my chainsaws at work. That's where my stove is. I like it. I burn all day while I'm working and can tend to the fire. No one would think it's strange that I have a saw at work. They already know I'm strange. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.