Pre-burned Heritage -- worth it and what to look for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixheater

Oct 23, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Hi again,

OK, I drove out an hour to the Pacific dealer to see the Alderleas, after the suggestion here got me looking at them. They seem like really good stoves, and would work for us. (I'm also still vacillating to between the 2.4 and 3 cu ft.) I get to the dealer, and he's got them (DC-Baltimore area, for those who were looking), but he's also got a Hearthstone Heritage floor model that they burned "only a few times" last year in the show room. He's selling it for $2000, vs $2800 his list.

No question it's a gorgeous stove and I am really attracted to the soapstone. My question is, given that I have only their word that it's still in perfect shape, what should I look for or what questions should I ask before going ahead? Or is this even a good idea? I've heard some cautionary notes here on the forum about used stoves generally, so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

phoenixheater said:
Hi again,

OK, I drove out an hour to the Pacific dealer to see the Alderleas, after the suggestion here got me looking at them. They seem like really good stoves, and would work for us. (I'm also still vacillating to between the 2.4 and 3 cu ft.) I get to the dealer, and he's got them (DC-Baltimore area, for those who were looking), but he's also got a Hearthstone Heritage floor model that they burned "only a few times" last year in the show room. He's selling it for $2000, vs $2800 his list.

No question it's a gorgeous stove and I am really attracted to the soapstone. My question is, given that I have only their word that it's still in perfect shape, what should I look for or what questions should I ask before going ahead? Or is this even a good idea? I've heard some cautionary notes here on the forum about used stoves generally, so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Some of the other folks here can give you technical advice about tip-offs to look for, but I'd say grab it. Since it was burned at the dealer, it's very, very unlikely to have been overfired or mistreated, and the price is a great deal. Not to mention you won't have to burn off the nasty smell these things have when they're new. Ask them what the warranty is. If it's the same as the new ones, you're golden.

I'm envious!

Status
Not open for further replies.