Pre Buy Pellet Deals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
Is $40 a ton off (Okanagan) for ordering 4 tons at a time unusual or a normal offer? Got a card in the mail today for a place with that deal. I never bought in those quantities, so I don't know.

$40 off a ton doesn't sound like to much of a deal. Especially since you need to buy 4 tons. This is my 1st year with my stove but suppliers around here, that I bought from, told me to wait till the May time frame and the prices will go down

If that is a deal or not would depend upon what the final price per ton is. Check the prices for the same or equivalent pellet at other places.

True, if the starting price is reasonable, then 40/ton off is a good deal. From what I have been reading here, doesnt sound too promising for spring deals. Ive seen a few, but nothing worth biting on yet. I've been told by my supplier not to expect any discounts on Spruce Pointe, so adding any more pf those is out. Not too bad as I am looking at others for my shoulder pellets and ending this year with approx 2 ton Spruce. If I can get another ton or 2 of hot pellets to add at a good price, I will do that. Otherwise, I am on the lookout for good medium burning pellets.

Final price is really what matters. What is that?

We are not seeing much break on Okies, Barefoots or Hamers down here. $10 bucks from the mid winter price is all. $40 doesn't sound so bad, But I'd still check around some to get a feel.

How can you ask if 40$ off is a good deal without knowing the price per ton? Who knows if they jacked the price 40 bucks before offering it ;?
Yes....you're right. I'll call them today. The card just says "This promotion off current prices". I know what I've been paying for them, so I just figured the price is the same, but you people obviously didn't know what I'm paying so the question was pretty wide open. DIUH!

FORGET IT! Got my answer off their web site. Okanagan's....$349/Ton!!!:rolleyes: My local dealer has sold them for $279/Ton the whole winter and will be coming out with his pre buy list this month.

This is not a good deal.

no, it would appear that it certainly is not! Maybe you should call your local guy and ask if they are out with their deal yet....but, from what I am hearing, I would NOT expect a decrease at all, or a VERY small one. I know what the unlanded cost is for Okies in New England, and $279 is a stupendous deal at the current time. My 2 cents: buy now, as the downside of missing the $279 "deal" is much less than what the price might be soon.

no, it would appear that it certainly is not! Maybe you should call your local guy and ask if they are out with their deal yet....but, from what I am hearing, I would NOT expect a decrease at all, or a VERY small one. I know what the unlanded cost is for Okies in New England, and $279 is a stupendous deal at the current time. My 2 cents: buy now, as the downside of missing the $279 "deal" is much less than what the price might be soon.
I called him a couple days ago and he said he is just finalizing the list and it should be out in a week. That $279/ton was his normal price for a ton all winter. I go by his storage facility often and it is getting pretty low on Okanagans.

I called him a couple days ago and he said he is just finalizing the list and it should be out in a week. That $279/ton was his normal price for a ton all winter. I go by his storage facility often and it is getting pretty low on Okanagans.
yes...here is my prediction.....no decrease in price for spring.....buy em now, before you cant, IMHO

Cape. Cod stove. Center just sent me that same promo, they also called me Saturday to tell me the same info. I told them they were crazy, I can buy Okies local at $299 a ton with no special!

I would be very leary of a pre buy or pre pay. Too many horror stories from folks who got taken, even from outfits who have been around a while. Cash and carry, COD is the best way to deal with buying pellets when you can. Pay with a major credit card. Keep everyone honest and happy.

I would be very leary of a pre buy or pre pay. Too many horror stories from folks who got taken, even from outfits who have been around a while. Cash and carry, COD is the best way to deal with buying pellets when you can. Pay with a major credit card. Keep everyone honest and happy.

agree with the above......dont buy pellets that arent on the ground.....or better yet, buy them, take them with you right then and there, or arrange a delivery in the NEAR future! Good intentions go bad quickly.....I have no issues with early season sales, but paying for something you dont have...er....dont like that at all!

Anyone out there have thoughts on the pricing at Lowe's and HD going forward. I'm hoping to score like last year on Green Team. Sure would love to load up on pricing at $200 a ton, or thereabouts like I did last summer!

I just got an email from Menards and they have a prebuy special of $169 a ton. Don't know what type they are but the price is right ;) Might be worth a look

I just got an email from Menards and they have a prebuy special of $169 a ton. Don't know what type they are but the price is right ;) Might be worth a look
menards has pennywise around here

Okies advertised in my local dealer prebuy yesterday for $285 a ton.

super premium lacrete for $369 a ton.

I am thinking twice about okies as a mixer. Pellets direct has a deal on some great softwoods right now.

I need 2 ton for mixing next year.

I know a Lowes that got 50 tons og GT this week.....price still at $219 but hoping and playing the waiting game so they drop the price to move them "out of their way"....:p

The Stove Depot, Vermont: pre-buy , 1 month only, Curran Blend $222.00, Ambiance 100% Hardwood $239.00, Northern 100% Hardwood $254.00, Turman 100% Oak $ 255.00.
Also just received notice from Vermont Wood Pellets: $235.00 cash/check only, pick-up at plant.
Going to try and get some cash together and get some Vermonts.

Never liked the prebuy where it's cash upfront! I give em cash, They give me pellets! I'll worry about storing em! See to many peeps get left in the cold with no fuel!

i see you have somersets, can you compare them to GT? curious between the 2

I liked the Somersets and used them all this season, would buy them again specially at the price i bought them in April last year..:cool:

I tested a bag or two of GT and got some clinker formation in the burn pot, "maybe" my unit needed some cleaning but the weather has been warm and stove has been off.

I gave it a good leaf blower cleaning last night anticipating the "cold front" approaching this coming week, I got 3 more bags of GT ready for one more test, depending on results I will buy the 3 tons of GT or not.....let's see.....

..:p

I really liked the heat from the GT, very good.

Never liked the prebuy where it's cash upfront! I give em cash, They give me pellets! I'll worry about storing em! See to many peeps get left in the cold with no fuel!
My local dealer for Okanagans has been in business around here for over 100 years. Too much to lose for those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.