Pre-cut score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin2

Burning Hunk
Nov 4, 2013
Palmer, ak
just picked up a new splitter so Ive been a little rejuvenated looking for wood to split. They punched in a new road extension close to my house this summer and set up a free firewood lot. Unfortunately I didn't capitalize on it this summer, I stopped by a couple times and all the good wood was taken. I cruised by the lot and no surprise the only thing that was left was cottonwood but what was surprising is a lot of it was already cut into rounds. there was no tracks in the week old snow so I figured I would snag it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oh very nice. If you get every round split at least once before break up that will all be dry by fall I bet. I hardly ever see cottonwood that big up here without a LOT of center rot, those are keepers.

Reactions: Quentin2
Next time get up there quicker, you will be much happier, but not a bad truckload..... Come on man.....it's a free firewood lot.....

Reactions: Quentin2
Yeah, I actually felt some shame when I realized I missed out on all the wood action. Last winter was my first year burning when summer rolled around I kinda lost the wood fever a little, I was caught up landscaping, putting in new lawn, extending driveway, fishing etc. the cottonwood seems to burn pretty decent especially if it's bigger chunks. Right now I'm mixing cottonwood with birch and it's working real well.

I'm gonna head back to the lot with my saw and get some more, I need to feed the splitter! Here's another pic of the lot you can see the new road in the background. Bogard extension through to Palmer for you locals.
image.jpg

Reactions: stephiedoll
Status
Not open for further replies.