Pre-Fab Class A Cimney - Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickh1001

Jun 4, 2008
upstate NY
I am installing a new 8" class A metal chimney in preparation for the EKO 60 on order. Total length will be about 24 ft, about half through heated space, the rest through the attic and above the roof.

Given the low flue temps, I was planning on using either the stainless Selkirk Metalbestos, or the "SuperPro", which appears to be similar. In this case, it is less a problem of keeping chimney temperatures away from combustibles, than in keeping the flue hot enough to avoid condensation. Thus, I thought any triple wall piping would not be good, as it would run too cool. I also plan to run the insulated pipe down into the basement, and run the smoke pipe into an insulated T, so as to minimize heat loss from the smoke pipe. It is going to be expensive - probably around $2,000 when I get done, but it should be a nice installation, and hopefully work well with the EKO.

Any suggestions as to preferred specific manufacturers and/or suppliers would be appreciated, as well as any general suggestions for this type of pipe installation. It looks like many of us on the list are in similar stages of our new boiler installations!

I bought a selkirk 8 inch chimney, about 20 feet long, with a T, cap, flashings, and all of the other parts for a complete chimney from
http://www.unifireusa.com/retail1/manufacturers.php?c1=Selkirk Metalbestos&vn=93336&grf=SELKIRK

I found this site to be the cheapest by quite a large margin. I have not built it yet, but I received all of the correct parts on time and have no complaints about Unifire.

Status
Not open for further replies.